Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Splitting off from the original thread about freelanceireland.ie .....

It seems that none of you are getting work through it..

So my question(s)...

How do you get work?

Would a "better" marketplace solution be of interest if one were to em.. "appear"? *cough*

EdenWeb

Word of mouth. I don't think I've ever had a business card. My web site was 6 years out of date until last year when I replaced with a holding page and until last week I'd never had any of my work on my web site.

Word of mouth - treat clients well. Do good work and regarding the site mentioned in your original post. This is a bidding-system where designers, hosting companies etc are deliberately undercutting themselves and others for cheap work for clients who don't believe in paying decent fees and want to commoditise creative and technical services.

RedCardinal

Word of mouth. I don't think I've ever had a business card. My web site was 6 years out of date until last year when I replaced with a holding page and until last week I'd never had any of my work on my web site.

Word of mouth - treat clients well. Do good work and regarding the site mentioned in your original post. This is a bidding-system where designers, hosting companies etc are deliberately undercutting themselves and others for cheap work for clients who don't believe in paying decent fees and want to commoditise creative and technical services.

Really, really nice use of lightbox for the portfolio - it looks so well.

Not to mention a top notch portfolio there also.

@edenweb how long have you been designing?

@Michele what do you have in mind *cough*

gothwalk

For the tiny amount of freelance work I do, it's all been word of mouth.

It's like any craft or trade - when you need a plumber, your first instinct is not to search the web, it's to ask your neighbour who does their pipes, or phone your parents and find out if the family plumber will come to your place.

louie

I have to agree with word of mouth as well.

Very rare I get an email, or a call from the website itself, but I mostly learned what I know for myself to be honest. never made a big deal about web design at all. I just enjoy working with computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.