How To Get Members To Post More?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conorod

I own a webmaster forum with about 250 members, but a lot of them are inactive.
Does anyone have some suggestions on how to get the existing members to post more? I am currently holding a monthly contest which I hope will help.

Sun

Good question and if you find the answer let me know!
;)

The fact that you have 250 members is a great start. When my forum started back in January this year and numbers were low I would email the member that got a reply to their post. Many members came back and are regulars now.

K

Kieran

A lot of people register for forums to just browse and never participate or register and completely forget that they registered in the first place. Think of health club membership tons of people join but loads don't use it. I am joined tons of forums but probably only actively participate in about 50 of them (oops 5).

My advice for what it is worth is to work on getting new members to the forum and increasing the number of members you have by SEO and working hard to get awareness of it.

Some people (cough cough) would create list of fictional users with a profile for each that they keep track of and start posting to the forum themselves to get traffic and good SEO terms into the site and then get traffic to the site. Now I am not advocating doing that but it is a strategy (a very time consuming strategy but still a stategy)

Signed

Molly - Fred - Ann - Jose - Kieran:)

paintballer.ie

People are lazy, getting them to post will be hard. Your best bet as said is to keep turning over new fresh members to add a burst of life to the forum.

Also, try to start good conversations in different areas that will engage different groups of your membership.

Juice

Are you emailing your members regularly to remind them that your forum exists?

You could try offering a small prize for "post of the month" or something like that?

paintballer.ie

A bit of controversy always gets people posting.

True, you want to make sure that it remains as chat and a general discussion of what ever the topic is and not let it turn in so a bitching type of thread... if you know what I mean.

Some people (cough cough) would create list of fictional users with a profile for each that they keep track of and start posting to the forum themselves to get traffic and good SEO terms into the site and then get traffic to the site. Now I am not advocating doing that but it is a strategy (a very time consuming strategy but still a strategy...
Actually, it can be done fairly easy. Once you set up say 10 accounts, you can then use the 'change post user' hack over on vb.org ( If you use vbulletin that is) and you can type all the posts your self and simply change the users after. You can do all this in a private forum even and them move the posts after.

I haven't done it my self, but it is a good idea for new forums to start and get going.

Banta

For me it also depends on the "reason" for the forum. For example, this forum is for "web mastering".

I ran a Counter-Strike Source (gaming) forum for 18 months. By the time we closed it down (and not because of inactivity) there was 700 odd members (30% active) and over 110,000 posts.

Someone suggested turning over fresh members to give the forum a burst of life... whilst yes, from my own experience a bit of life came from new members, it was mainly down the the regular posters interacting with new members that the forum would "come to life" on certain days.
As part of a gaming "clan" we were on other forums/sites for competitions, and as we always came across as friendly, others would visit our forum and ended up becoming regulars becaus of the amount of posts and the freedom of posts... What i mean by "freedom" is that there were sections on the forum where anything goes. A general chat section, an "gallery" (images) and a "movies" section - these became the hub of activity. Lots of general chit chat. I've been a very regular member of a few forums, and the one thing they have in common is definitely a general chat and images part to the forum. It starts general interaction where people can just talk about anything they want, or post up funny pictures. It also enables users to get to know each other better, thus creating a community feel.

I'm not a member of this forum for very long, but from reading posts on my first browse, there was a definite sense of community I felt - some users here must know each other pretty well at this stage, and at a guess I would say that's because of the general banter that's happened as opposed to "accurate" and "informative" posts. To create a community and more posts, there has to be a sense of informality some where (from my own experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.