Status
Not open for further replies.

Big D

How can I put strings of data into table columns? For example, say I wanted to put the following data list into 5 columns of 4 cells each, with Fahan Lower to Faithlegg in the first column, Falls Upper to Farbane in the second, etc., is there an easy way to do this?

Fahan (Lower)
Fahan (Upper)
Fahey
Faithlegg
Falls Upper
Famagh Church
Fanlobbus
Farbane
Farcet
Farihy
Fartagh
Faughanstown
Faughanvale
Faughart
Faughley
Favoran
Feacle
Fedamore
Feighan of Fore
Feighcullen

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Where is the data coming from?

Just trying to understand what you are trying to do

Big D

Hello. Yes, I apologise if I wasn't too clear. The data gets generated alphabetically from a database, and I'm trying to create an alphabeticla index in 5 cols rather than having it all in one big long line (as displayed in the original post). Basically, I want to split the data up so that every, say, 5th entry begins a new column, like:

Fahan (Lower) | Falls Upper | Farcet | Faughanvale | Feacle
Fahan (Upper) | Famagh Ch | Farihy | Faughart | Fedamore
Fahey | Fanlobbus | Fartagh | Faughley | Feighan of Fore
Faithlegg | Farbane | Faughanstown | Favoran | Feighcullen

Does that make any more sense?

I can create a 5 col table okay, but cannot find an easy solution to the way I have suggested above.

Big D

Maybe the following makes the required layout clearer?

[Column 1]
Fahan (Lower)
Fahan (Upper)
Fahey
Faithlegg

[Column 2]
Falls Upper
Famagh Church
Fanlobbus
Farbane

[Column 3]
Farcet
Farihy
Fartagh
Faughanstown

[Column 4]
Faughanvale
Faughart
Faughley
Favoran

[Column 5]
Feacle
Fedamore
Feighan of Fore
Feighcullen

MOH

Presume you probably have this sorted, but the easiest way without any code would probably be something like:

Code:
<div class="container">
<div class="cell">Fahan (Lower)</div><div class="cell">Fahan (Upper)</div><div class="cell">..etc..</div>
</div>
Then in your CSS, make the cells float:left, give them a fixed width, and give the container 4x times the width (may need to adjust to allow for padding/borders, so every 5th cell will spill onto a new row

[edit]
Bah, just reread this, that's obviously with the names going across instead of down - sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.