Status
Not open for further replies.

newmaster

I have recently (last Friday) done an overhaul of my site and did a substantial amount of work on creating friendly urls. This was not only for the standard pages but for every page (including the classified adverts) and now it will be the same when new adds are placed as it has been created dynamically.

On top of this I added about 30 keywords for anchor text.

Now I have done this, I am waiting for bots to crawl my site so that they re-index all of my pages with all the correct new urls and show extra internal links from the anchor text etc. I also really need them to index the ad urls.

Does anyone have any tips on speeding this up???

I am working very hard to get a decent ranking on Google for my site, it is already in page one on Yahoo, but the real traffic is Google and I'm nowhere near that yet.

My site is still less than 2 months old as well and I know that for the field I am working in it could take a couple of years, but the more I can do now the better.

My site is mysell.ie if you want to check it out and see what I've done, all feedback would be massively appreciated.

louie

first - make sure you 301 redirect the old URLs
second - create a sitemap with the new pages and submit it to Google through webmaster tools
third - patients it's a virtue.

link8r

I have recently (last Friday) done an overhaul of my site and did a substantial amount of work on creating friendly urls. This was not only for the standard pages but for every page (including the classified adverts) and now it will be the same when new adds are placed as it has been created dynamically.

On top of this I added about 30 keywords for anchor text.

Now I have done this, I am waiting for bots to crawl my site so that they re-index all of my pages with all the correct new urls and show extra internal links from the anchor text etc. I also really need them to index the ad urls.

Does anyone have any tips on speeding this up???

I am working very hard to get a decent ranking on Google for my site, it is already in page one on Yahoo, but the real traffic is Google and I'm nowhere near that yet.

Your content has little to do with this. There are a number of parts to Google as a system. First of all the crawl cycle isn't directly related to indexing or SERP's. In other words, just because your site is crawled, doesn't mean everything is indexed automatically. Similarly, whether you are indexed partially or entirely, ranking is another matter.

First of all - get into webmaster tools and see if Google has any technical issues.

A sitemap helps from the point of view of letting Google report back on all the links contained. Again , this is slow, and works on its on cycle and isn't live information - its more of a data dump.

Your crawl cycle and index rate are related more to the type of site (i.e. is it a blog with posts and RSS -v- a site with pages per se) - and the authority thereof. Your ranking, for a search phrase or search term/word is related to the relevance of your site to that, your authority (within that search index) and taking into account how your site fits in with all the other sites, the geographic considerations etc

A PR4 site with 50 pages can take 3 months to fully re-index, even if you delete all the old pages. Key to this is have a custom 404 error page - Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Make your 404 pages more useful - so Google can remove these url's.

newmaster

should I do a redirect even though there are not actually any new pages, maybe except 5/6 new ads?

In terms of a sitemap I haven't done this yet either so I will definitely upload a csv file to do that asap. The reason I didnt was because my site was indexed quite intensely from day 2 of being live and so I just didnt think I needed to, but now I think otherwise.

I haven't noticed a speed issue before, and haven't had anyone say it either. Which part is slow to you? Are you possibly talking about the banner ads?

Thanks Louie :)

ACTUALLY: my site is being indexed for a lot of random pages through my blog which are not visible (from my site) and I have no idea how they have attached to my domain. They are random sex/electronics sites/forums and in the webmaster tools on Google it wont let me stop them with the robots text. I really need them to stop following the https:. The address on my website for the blog is http and not https anyway. I have over 400 indexed pages that I don't want :(

newmaster

Key to this is have a custom 404 error page - ... - so Google can remove these url's.

Link8r - that is really useful, another area I have neglected is to make a custom error page. I should do this today, but it will have to wait till tomorrow because I have a million other things to do. Have you noticed speed issues as well?

Sitemap is a must considering that you said it and also louie

newmaster

Thanks Link8r - I will need to install Python and hope it does the job, otherwise it will be a manual job, Oh the joys

markkh

the only other thing i could suggest in order to get crawled quicker is submit some responses on popular blogs using anchor text as your name and url to a particular page. this has work well in the past for me

stephen186

I remember when i had gone through this...it took google around 10 to 15 days to update each and everything.
I had just done some Social bookmarking and RSS feed submission.

Other than that, someones has suggeted sitemap and 301 redirection of old URL..i think it would also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.