I took the plunge and bought vbulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballer.ie

I just took the plunge and bought a vb license. I also bought project tools and the blog feature while I was at it for the craic while I was at it.

I saved a few quid also I think, the currently option is weird. The wanted $300 for the lot ( €240 ish) or you can select to pay in pounds which was £188 ( shy of €200) so I think I saved €40 there :D

Next steps are to find a decent CMS system, style and convert my phpbb forum over. I saw a nice wordpress style that suits my needs lovely and there is a wordpress /vb bridge hack that allows you to share users so I think I will build the new site around that.

Questions is, any mods that are not highly rated on vbulletin.org that I should look at?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of threads on here discussing various mods ...

The last few versions of Vb incorporated a lot of the addon features already, however, so it depends on what you want to achieve tbh

paintballer.ie

Cheers, I will check them out.

So far, straight out of the box I am liking it. So easy to install mod's / hacks compared to phpbb. The blog feature and social groups are great for my as I am trying to create the social network feel for the community.

The adsense integration is handy. I was previously banned form adsense but I have reapplied so I will have to see how that goes.

I wont be ready for the official change over for a month or so once the college exams are over, but if all goes according to plan, it will kick ass ;)

paintballer.ie

Ok, another week or so before I change over. I have all the back end of things sorted mostly. I just need to tweak settings for vbseo to see what I like. I am now working on the style, background etc.

My biggest worry is the move from phpbb to vbulletin and loosing a lot of search engine traffic. All the post and topics are being moved but the url is changing i.e.

phpbb - showtopic.php?t=2222

vbulletin - showthread.php?t=54343

The fact that topic id's are not kept the same makes it tough. If they were, it would be a simple rewrite of showtopic > showthread.

Status
Not open for further replies.