Ideeas for the "Filter Option"

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

on this page Products I have a filter option which consist of 2 select menus.

I want your expert opinion of what's the best way to go about it.
At the moment both are independent from each other (2 forms), and I need some ideas to improve to filter option.
I know I could make it better and I am not afraid of coding the page if a better way is out there.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So at the moment I can't find radios by a particular producer only?

louie

I made some changes to the select menus yestarday, and I am not very happy with it at all.
I wasn't happy before hand so the reason I made the changes in the first place. I think I should put the select menus in the same form as before and work from there again.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: ::
:: which I just did. ::
:: ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

RedCardinal

If you have the time you could consider making the producer dropdown dependent on the product on the product selected. Producer dropdown only becomes available after selecting the product.

How are you with JS?

You can just make a request via xmlhttprequest for the second dropdown options based on the selection from the first.

Then you can filter based on product and/or producer. At worst I would place the two options into one form so that user can do this now (yeah they might get some null results but at least they have more control over the result set).

I would consider moving the order by and filter by options up into the navigation so that it is all in one place (and well highlighted for the user).

[OT] where, oh where do you get the time????

louie

I was looking at using Ajax for it, but as good and nice I think it is (Ajax that is) is not really that good for search engines.

I was looking into the filter option based on the select menu, but as you said some will get "No products found" which kind of puts people off to keep browsing.
[OT] where, oh where do you get the time????

I don't know myself but I manage.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at using Ajax for it, but as good and nice I think it is (Ajax that is) is not really that good for search engines.
I read the opposite recently ... If I find the link I'll post it

RedCardinal

I was looking into the filter option based on the select menu, but as you said some will get "No products found" which kind of puts people off to keep browsing.

I don't know myself but I manage.

Sorry, my bad - I thought this was yet another one of Michele's never ending network of sites.

Don't know how prolific you are, but sure to ifnd out over time :D

WRT the SE's just make sure they have a way to crawl (have text links to each producer / product set somewhere on the page). As long as they can crawl they will index.

louie

Because Ajax is based on bringing a page over xmlhttprequest without refreshing the entire page, at the moemnt is impossible for search engines to follow as the source of the page never changes.
There is also a problem with the Back button as well.

I am looking into making a sitemap available (i have one in XML for Google) very soon. probably convert the one I have into html.

RedCardinal

Technically this is not accurate.

There are ways to make your AJAX pages SE crawlable. You can find a number of solutions - e.g. dynamically changing the URL to represent the page your on (this is one of the methods used to overcome the back/forward problem with AJAX apps).

You can also use DOM scripting to change the behaviour of your app after the DOM loads so that the SE's are given one route while users get an Ajax alternative.

I believe that the SE's have been working hard of late to make AJAX pages/apps crawlable.

Status
Not open for further replies.