.ie domains....

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiecasey

This has been discussed countless times on boards and ie.comp but the situation might have changed. What exactly do I need to register a .ie? I registered free-ringtones.ie with just a registered business name (i think) but darklite.ie is asking for proof of trading as well.

And also, what's the cheapest registrar currently??

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you have an RBN you shouldn't need anything else if it matches the domain name partially or wholly.

Proof of trading is not required ....

If you want to register a .ie that does not match your RBN you will need to provide a signed letter outlining briefly why you want to register it.

I won't comment on pricing :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Usually the letter option ...

A lot of the ones that the company owns are directly related to our core business, so we wouldn't need to provide much in the way of "proof", whereas my personal ones, such as armchair.ie or browse.ie, needed justification.

For the company I would register a business name only if I intended us to trade using it at some point in the future

georgiecasey

Right, I'll chance the letter option, if it doesnt work I can always register a BN. So you write the letter 'from' the Blacknight company. Will a letter just from me personally work? I'm registerting one through blacknight.ie now, can I just email my letter on to you then

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The letter has to come from you :)

The company that registers the domain will simply contact you for the info if you don't supply it

georgiecasey

Alright. So now I just send my letter to IE Domain Registry Limited, Windsor House, 14 Windsor Terrace, Sandycove,Co. Dublin and wait for a response.

offlicence

It seems you can get anything you want using

descr: Sole Trader
descr: Discretionary Name

If you are convincing enough/and they like your argument

Its a bit harder with

descr: Natural Person

but still possible, if you play up the non-profit angle

once you have the domain it seems you can do what you want, as they don't visit it, so some adsense on the latter causes no problems

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It seems you can get anything you want using

descr: Sole Trader

If you are convincing enough/and they like your argument

To a certain extent - yes

I've run into issues with it on more than one occasion.

They don't quite "get" the concept of an affiliate frontend to $merchant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.