Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBiz

Can people please discuss how they manage their .ie domains? We recently had a new website designed. Same .ie domain. We're paying a dublin company approx 40pa to host which is fine. The company which designed the new website want 200pa (separately) to host our website on their server. We find this quite expensive as our last website which was designed by an independent designer for a one off fee had no further yearly charges. The company which designed our new website has a unique content management system which I understand is what we are being charged for but we felt 200pa was a bit steep for a basic website which will need very few changes each year.

Thoughts?

Michael Brookes

If you provide them with ftp access to your current site I can't imagine why they need to have you hosted on their own server. I would ask what the reasons for changing host are.

If they require something like mssql or java then that could explain the move and the additional price.

Also if your website generates a mass of traffic this could use a lot of bandwidth and also explain the increase in price.

If there are updates that you need doing to the site 4 - 5 times per annum then this price is very reasonable.

link8r

I'm guessing its a centrally hosted CMS, therefore its not portable. In either case, if they're blocking moving it, you could opt to Jailbreak it which means downloading the images and HTML and rebuilding the site from that (its not that hard, takes a day for a 30 page site, can be automated).

I'm not sure that centrally hosted CMS's have a place tbh. If you buy a website, that's a different contract to renting one.

As a side note, €200 isn't that steep in the greater scheme, its cheaper than a rebuild. It's certainly a multitude of a cost over what a hosting company charges directly. What I mean to say, is that it's not the worst thing. The bigger issue is that if they're sub-hosting and don't pay their bill, you could be left without a website and e-mail entirely. While getting your own hosting is cheaper, you'll have to manage it yourself. Still, that may or may not be worth the €160 saving but ultimately you'll have direct control over your [hopefully] top asset!

Best of luck and if any of us can help, let us know!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like the hosting is tied to the site design / development, so probably something to do with the CMS they're offering ..
In the grand scheme of things 200 euro / year for hosting isn't much

Though I don't understand what your question about .ie domains is exactly ..

NewBiz

Many thanks for your replies. I assumed once you had your website designed, you paid only your host. In this case we're also paying the designer a yearly subscription for the privilege of using their CMS which in fairness is very easy to use. Its also easier than asking our last web designer to do urgent changes each time. @Blacknight do hosting companies such as yourselves have CMS or do people generally have to ask their web designers to do changes?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Most hosting providers have auto-installers for various CMS or some kind of sitebuilder. The simplest thing is to get a designer / developer to do a site for you using an open source CMS such as Wordpress, Joomla, SimpleCMS, Typo3 etc - you can then make minor updates yourself, though for anything serious you might need to get the designer to do it for you.

K

Kieran

I am not a fan of homegrown CMS as they are restrictive when you have to move them or as you see above you think you re paying too much. Saying that are some excelletn ones out there that I have used and updated for people but when you come up against a problem that is under the hood and you cant access the code you are then snookered and have to go to the company.

Most open source CMS are completely portable and easy to install and in more and more cases are literally a one click install. The joy of them is that you can Telecon Dial-In:Moog Ltd.

K

Kieran

I am not a fan of homegrown CMS as they are restrictive when you have to move them or as you see above you think you re paying too much. Saying that are some excelletn ones out there that I have used and updated for people but when you come up against a problem that is under the hood and you cant access the code you are then snookered and have to go to the company.

Most open source CMS are completely portable and easy to install and in more and more cases are literally a one click install. The joy of them is that you modify them pretty extensively to your own needs.

I don't think you should pay for the privilege of using their CMS as I am sure they have plenty of clients using the CMS already also paying for it so at least query the basis for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.