.ie registration question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohawk

Hi, my name is Sean,

This is my 1st post on the forum and I wanted to enquire about .ie registration.

I am currently unemployed and I am doing a training course, when the course concludes in August I'd like to have a website ready to go and become self employed as a sole trader.

.ie's seem to be going very fast in the area I am training in, is there any way to secure a .ie address as an unemployed individual that will be a sole trader in a few months?

I see 1-2 .ie's that will be great for my business start up in August and 1 was snapped up the other day by another person.:(

Is there any gray areas of registering that I can exploit? I mean this in the most professional, legal way. I am looking forward to joining the work force, signing off and paying my taxes.

Okay maybe not the taxes, too much :)

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Sean

Two options
1 - register your name eg JohnDoe.ie
2 - register a registered business name with the CRO and then use that to register mycoolideadomain.ie

Option 2 gives you more choices and will cost you about €20 extra

HTH

Michele

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
As blacknight said .. I'd recommend registering a business name with the CRO .. it'll be €20 quid well spent and can be done via CRO - Home - The Companies Registration Office Ireland .. you've to fill out a form on there the RBN1 form CRO - Business Name Registration

With it you've a lot more flexibility to register your own business name / variations ... not to mention other .ie's if you so wish.

Without the RBN ... you're kinda screwed a bit :( .. you can get certain domains (variations on your name) which is not a bad thing to be honest either.

synapsis

I noticed that some registrars allow you to get around certain requirements in the case that you live outside the country. Ex. DomainMonster poses as your contact within the .asia area therefore allowing outsiders to register. Can this be done with .ie as well?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that some registrars allow you to get around certain requirements in the case that you live outside the country. Ex. DomainMonster poses as your contact within the .asia area therefore allowing outsiders to register. Can this be done with .ie as well?
No.
.asia .de .ca and a few others have a nexus requirement, which some registrars offer a solution for.
In the case of .ie there is no simple nexus requirement. Instead you have to show a "connection" to Ireland and the domain.
So you could live in LA and register a .ie quite easily, while you could just as easily live next door to the domain registry's offices and not be able to get a domain due to the policy requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.