IE7 Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomed

Installed it yesterday - thought it was the biggest load of sh1t3.

If this is the best microsoft can come up with - the browser wars are well and truly over.

Not content with ripping off Mac for it's GUI, it has now completely ripped off all the great ideas you come to associate with FireFox....

Disappointing microsoft... disappointing......

ph3n0m

tomed said:
Installed it yesterday - thought it was the biggest load of sh1t3.

If this is the best microsoft can come up with - the browser wars are well and truly over.

Not content with ripping off Mac for it's GUI, it has now completely ripped off all the great ideas you come to associate with FireFox....

Disappointing microsoft... disappointing......

did the fact that you had to have a valid Windows XP registration to install in the first place not annoy you?

tomed

ph3n0m said:
did the fact that you had to have a valid Windows XP registration to install in the first place not annoy you?

oh yeah!!!

But what I forgot to mention.... even worse..... the uninstall......

I uninstalled it (when I eventually found out how...) my IE6 was fooked up.

If i typed a URL in the address bar, it popped open another window and froze!!!!!

Had to use system restore to get it back to normal!!!

tomed

ph3n0m said:
even dumber question - is there anything remotely attractive about IE7?

ehhh..... no....

I think they have overlooked the whole usability side of things - but it's still in beta so that may well change!

davidata

no connections

after all the version is still a beta! so it might be expectable that some functions dont work. i have installed it and uninstalled it. no problems with this.
but the thing is IE7b would not connect to the web. The same session with other browsers do work. any ideas about security settings? i tried all proxy combinations i can think of...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I had no problems connecting to the net using IE7 beta. It just worked!

What kind of connection do you have?

I'm on dsl here and didn't need to make any changes to my setup

Cormac

i hear that IE7 will incorporate elements of the netcraft anti-phishing toolbar. Did anybody notice this on their beta?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Rollo said:
i hear that IE7 will incorporate elements of the netcraft anti-phishing toolbar. Did anybody notice this on their beta?

Yes. I turned it off immediately, but had to tweak my settings even further to make it stay off!

It's a nice idea to include phishing detection, but it's not exactly an original idea and there are better ways of doing it without forcing it on people.

I sometimes get the distinct impression that M$ want to really shove the "we're working on security" message down our throats too forcefully. The firewall interface is another example of this. You really feel that you are jumping through hoops to make it behave "sanely"

Cormac

mmm, i must get a look of this pluggin for anti phishing, i did a project on it earlier this year. Don't think it'll work because its only techy people who are aware of phishing and avearge joe barely knows how to use the internet let alone know to react to toolbars in IE.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well the problem as I see it isn't going to be solved at the browser level.

Most phishing links are sent out via email, so you need to warn people of suspect links there and not when they've already clicked through to a site

Status
Not open for further replies.