I'm interested in learning Drupal

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fantastvik

I'm interested in learning Drupal, can anybody help me with some ebooks or some other learning material?

shaneod

Just learning the ropes of it myself. it is quite daunting at first but if you're used to PHP based systems like WordPress or PhpBB then you should be able to pick it up. If you're new to these kinda systems then I'd imagine it's a lot harder to pick up. Might be worth investing in the book they sell on the Drupal site, or see if you can install a test site and play around with it.

For free video/podcasts search for "Mustardseed Media" and "Lullabot", both have useful pod casts.

Books:
Building powerful and robust websites with Drupal 6, David Mercer, Packt publishing
O'Reilly have a book out in December called Using Drupal.

F

fantastvik

404. the book you suggested is THE thing i was looking for. again i appreciate your and cormacs efforts

caminowebmaster

I wouldn't dive in and give my money away to Packt publishing to quickly. I ahve bought from them Joomla and I was not happy with the lack of detail. You then have to go rooting around the cms info site anyway.

I use lynda.com and love it - and dirt cheap.

I cant really comment on how it compares to other Packt books. I've got a copy and overall it seems to be a good basic introduction, to help a novice (such as myself) understand the scope of Drupal, to get started building with it and have enough knowledge to understand the context of other modules and learn their intricacies yourself.

However, one significant negative point is the lack of coverage of Views due to the lack of a stable release of them at the time of writing (which given how slow module updates have apparently been this cycle is understandable, but it's still a black mark).

F

fantastvik

may be.. but i am liking whatever i've read till now. yup lynda's tutorials are really very nice

shaneod

I've been playing around with Drupal now quite a bit. Seems like a very very very nice system, really impressed with it.

Seems if you're looking to build a social networking site then version 5 is the one to use as a lot of the modules haven't been upgraded to 6 yet.

How quickly are these being changed over does anyone know, as 6 seems to have a few nice features and they seem to be working on 7 as well ...

are there too many versions and different releases or does 5 work well anyone know, i've been mostly messing around with 6.

gav240z

I've been playing around with Drupal now quite a bit. Seems like a very very very nice system, really impressed with it.

Seems if you're looking to build a social networking site then version 5 is the one to use as a lot of the modules haven't been upgraded to 6 yet.

How quickly are these being changed over does anyone know, as 6 seems to have a few nice features and they seem to be working on 7 as well ...

are there too many versions and different releases or does 5 work well anyone know, i've been mostly messing around with 6.

Drupal 6 is an improved framework and slightly easier to theme than 5. I used 5 simply because at the time of building my site CCK and Views modules were not out of beta.

I've heard these have been really improved in Drupal 6 though so sounds great. If I was building a site now I would use Drupal 6.

I must say though I'd really like some tutorials / info on CCK and Views they are very powerful but very confusing. I especially need help with themeing views. Apparently there is a book out there now that covers these topics in depth was on the front page a while ago.

I would give the building community sites with wordpress / drupal / phpbb a miss.

The book produced by the guys at lullabot is excellent.

gav240z

Really, what would you use?

That book is good at learning the basic Drupal interface but its a bit outdated now (covers older versions of Drupal at least the version I read covered version 4.XX)

Pro Drupal Development | by John VanDyk & Matt Westgate

This book is really good and covers alot about Drupal including themeing.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Drupal-Development-John-VanDyk/dp/1590597559]Amazon.com: Pro Drupal Development: John K. VanDyk, Matt Westgate: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Building-powerful-robust-websites-Drupal/dp/1847192971/ref=pd_cp_b_2?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1590597559&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1D0B1RFA0CFTYK2MVHJV]Amazon.com: Building powerful and robust websites with Drupal 6: David Mercer: Books[/ame]

The lullabot DVD would be good for learning Drupal. Wish it was out when I started to learn Drupal.
Understanding Drupal DVD On Sale Now | Lullabot

shaneod

Ah right thanks Gav, I took you up wrong, i thought you were saying you'd give those Programs a miss when building a community! ... didnt realise it was the name of a book! .... thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.