Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Couple of things ....

Whoever wrote that article doesn't understand what a gateway is

Paypal is a payment processor not a gateway

The monthly charges quoted for Realex are not realistic - they vary depending on volumes

Realex batches payments EVERY day - the article says weekly which is wrong

With Realex you get your money almost immediately

With Worldpay you don't

Realex has an "internet terminal". I also find it amusing that anyone would even consider sending CC details via email.

Tom

Interesting, we currently use Paypal but were always thinking about using Realex. It seems pricier than I thought looking at your comparison. If merchant accounts charge 3% per transaction that's almost the same as PayPal, and then there are the additional Gateway monthly charges too. Sounds like it would run more expensive than just using PayPal, am I reading this right? Btw the Paypal site says 3.4% not 3.9% unless I'm missing something.

Edit: Is the PayPal virtual terminal available for Irish accounts, I didn't know it existed but I can only find US only.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You don't pay 3% if you're doing any volumes with most merchant accounts.

The article is largely inaccurate

davidbehan

Realex does have an Internet terminal.

Also, if you go in with a decent plan for your Internet merchant account, the bank usually starts at 2.5% to get you going. Second year, depending on volume, you can negotiate your rates.

Hold on... more holes... you don't need a merchant account with your local bank if you go for WorldPay. WorldPay act as your merchant account and payment processor all in one.

Have a read of this and then maybe redo yours:

blog Guide to Selling Online | davidbehan | web design - web development - web marketing | ireland

It was written about a year and a half ago but still very accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.