Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly don't know .. it still seems to be taken into account by some of the SEO rating sites / tools, though I've no idea how important it actually is ..

link8r

It has some relevance - for one, Google will still sometimes use your sites Page Title from DMOZ instead of your title tag - which is highly annoying if you've since changed it!

Given all other things equal between site A and site B and site A appears in an index that matches a search phrase, I'd guess site A would rank above site B but when are things equal?

Michael Brookes

Is it still being updated? doubtful, is it outdated? definitely.

It's a human edited directory, no one can do that forever...right? what a job...sheesh...Google announcing that it uses DMOZ data in it's serps was probably the worse thing to ever happen to DMOZ.

Most sites on DMOZ have been around for a good while, link authority based on link age is a factor.

A lot of the DMOZ pages have page rank, always a bonus on any directory site.

The DMOZ directory is echoed across the internet increasing your link popularity.

They could of made a fortune if they had charged a fiver per signup and probably cut the work load in half at the same time :)

tiyerl

Dmoz holds value out of all the other directories for three reason:

1) Google uses it to populate there directory
2) You may gat some traffic
3) New directory owners, depending on the script they use, can populate there directory from Dmoz which means some free backlinks.

Its hard to get listed in the directory :(

Status
Not open for further replies.