Is Illustrator worth getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye4It

Hello!
I have Photoshop CS3 Extended, and I like it (who doesn't?:p), but is it worth getting Illustrator aswell?
I mainly design websites, but now I'm delving into digital art/illustrations, and am wondering what program/s is/are best?
I'm also looking for a program to make 3D shapes, such as faces/figures etc.
...if anyone can help me that would be GREAT! ;)

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Depends if you are really gonna use it or not :)

Why not play with inkscape and see if you like that ... its similar in some respects ... and will get you more into vector based drawing

As for 3d shapes ... have a look at blender 3d

Inkscape. Draw Freely.
blender.org - Home

jennyrusks

Hi Eye

Illustrator is the business. If you've used the vector tools in Photoshop and gotten comfortable with them, then you'll probably like Illustrator a lot. Most people struggle with the pen tool, in both programs, but if you get your head around it, I think the Illustrator vector tools are actually a little bit easier to use.

Eye4It

Thanks

Thank you all for the helpful advice, I am just about to check out the trial version, and After Effects is catching my eye too, so I might give that a shot.
Adobe seriously have everything covered this time around with the amount of programs they have.
I've also downloaded the 2 programs recommended by Forbairt so I will give them a shot too.
I'll certainly post my opinion in a few days/weeks...;)

squibs

if yu have cs3 and want illustrator, it might be worth a look at the web design premium suite which gives you flash, fireworks, acrobat and more. I'm not sure what the proce difference is between illustrator ond the WDP upgrade, but check it out. Fireworks will give you another palette of tools, and flash will let you animate the result.

Eye4It

hmmm....if i have photoshop and illustrator...what circumstance would require me to use Fireworks?
i have got the illustrator trial, and will be purchasing soon, but as for fireworks is there anything specific it can do that photoshop and illustrator can't?
thanks for your reply

byronyasgur

i second inkscape - i think it is well above the typical standards of open source - although i havent really tried illustrator, but i can say inkscape is worth trying out

Status
Not open for further replies.