Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCardinal

Thanks Gavin.

At least someone has the decency to try helping others rather than making light of the situation.

You seem to have lost my email address Cormac?

The account weas suspended because WP became too much of a resource hog.

Gavin I owe you a pint.

caminowebmaster

Richard can you explain - too much of a resource hog?

I am running WP as a CMS on a travel site that is starting to pick up, and I would hate to get in the position of 600/700 pages with 1000 visitors per day and for it to fold on me.

I only have about 200 pages up so far, if WP cannot handle it I would love to know now.

Thanks

Cormac

Thanks Gavin.

At least someone has the decency to try helping others rather than making light of the situation.

You seem to have lost my email address Cormac?

The account weas suspended because WP became too much of a resource hog.

Gavin I owe you a pint.

I noticed it down earlier on and I would have thought you were already aware of it. Apologies if are you offended in any way. It happens to me all the time and it can be quite frustrating.

RedCardinal

Richard can you explain - too much of a resource hog?

I am running WP as a CMS on a travel site that is starting to pick up, and I would hate to get in the position of 600/700 pages with 1000 visitors per day and for it to fold on me.

I only have about 200 pages up so far, if WP cannot handle it I would love to know now.

Thanks

I think it might be a mix of too many plugins, too much bot activity (you wouldn't believe how much spam I get to my site), and the host arsing about.

Was planning on moving to a dedicated server I have in the US, but as this has somewhat come out of the blus will see now about moving RC and some other Irish sites over to Michele's new VPS. I really need to immerse myself more in the server side of stuff anyway.

I need a new site for RC also... one that I can get some time to post on :(
Actually - need a new me...

RedCardinal

I noticed it down earlier on and I would have thought you were already aware of it. Apologies if are you offended in any way. It happens to me all the time and it can be quite frustrating.

I would think that if you can take the time to start a thread about my site being down, you could shoot me a quick 1-line email just in case I'm not aware...

And this is hardly newsworthy anyhow is it? Maybe I should be flattered?

davidbehan

[edit] Note - replied at same time as richard [/edit]

I'd say he means that there are limits on the hosting he has and he reached them OR his site is taking up too much of the cpu on a shared box and others sites on the server were suffering. I'd say WP can handle the traffic but if your host has automatic suspension for going over your limits, you get hit with those messages. A real pain.

Camino, just make sure your host is scalable and if it gets really busy, it's not that difficult to move to VPS or Dedicated hosting.

Needless to say, your site must be doing really well Richard.

paul

Ninja
Richard you were certainly having some wordpress problems, and I'm guessing it was the plugins. Good luck in getting back up quickly.

caminowebmaster

Thanks Richard and David.

And Richard, it is note worthy - you are one of the top SEO in Ireland. It comes with your success, have a good one.

gav240z

Exactly

Wordpress is a resource hog and does not scale.

Exactly, one of the reasons I'm thinking of moving to Expression Engine. Have you much experience from a server side perspective on what CMS systems are the least hungry?

I'm not much of a server guy so I'm kinda lacking in knowledge in this area. Perhaps a new thread, but i'd really like to see what kind of systems (when tested) tend to perform poorly under load.

ie:
Joomla
Wordpress
Drupal etc...

PS: Sorry to hear about your website Richard. Hope you get it sorted soon. At least it was a server side issue and not some script kiddie trying to deface your site.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If the CMS writes files to disk, either permanently or temporarily, it will help a lot with scaling ie. caching of some kind.

D

Deleted member 444

Is it still that bad even with WP-Cache enabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.