joomla support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch-Stanton

Most hosts that provide php and mysql will do, however, joomla has one feature which requires a little extra support.

When you use the built in installer for adding on extra modules and components etc. the system will give it a different file ownership, this will be a problem when it comes to editing it with an ftp programe. This is a well documented problem with Joomla.

In order to change ownership (chown, not to be confused with chmod) you need root permissins and no host will provide this on shared hosting platform.

However, blacknights "file manager" in their control panel has a nice little feature which will change the ownership back to the admin user at the click of a link, which is very handy for joomla hosted sites.

I have never used webhosting ireland, so I dont know if they have that feature.

I haven't found many hosts who provide this feature, although because of the popularity of joomla some hosts have a "work around" such as running server scripts at night to reset ownership.

The other option would be to get a vps, this option will give you root access.

greenpixel

Love that feature, saves tons of hours waiting for the support to do the chown for you every time a folder goes berserk! :)

Byron

If there is fantastico on your account, ask them to upgrade, otherwise you will probably have to use the above options, if you are for any reason unsure of this process, there are plenty of lads looking for a few bob and will also knock you up a full setup of components and plugins to your needs.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.