Status
Not open for further replies.

darkstar_tfd

This is a questions for Joomla users out there:

Do you still use Joomla 1.0.15 or have you went for Joomla 1.5 ?

Thanks,
Dks.

gav240z

Joomla users

This is a questions for Joomla users out there:

Do you still use Joomla 1.0.15 or have you went for Joomla 1.5 ?

Thanks,
Dks.

Was a Joomla user, but have decided to move away from it. Its a great CMS to get started with in terms of ease of use and functionality, however after much pain I've decided to look at other systems.

I had so much trouble trying to migrate from Joomla 1.0.15 to 1.5 with my almost vanilla install that I decided because of the effort involved it simply wasn't worth while moving.

If I was setting up a new site, I'd go with 1.5.

For the record in future I'll either be using Drupal or Expression Engine.

darkstar_tfd

I still find Joomla a good system. It has a lot of components and extensions - modules , mambots.

You can build a website in almost every niche, because there are a lot of options.

I have not tried Drupal that much so I cannot say I know the CMS good. I do not know anything about Expression Engine. What kind of CMS is it ? Middle size websites working on it ?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I guess I just found joomla too "set" for my liking and didn't like how you've got to get plugins for xyz to work the way you want it to.

A lot of the features I wanted should have been core features unfortunately.

Yes I used joomla a good bit so its not a case of I just couldn't figure it out .. I figured it out and just thought this isn't how it should work.

I must give drupal a go when I get a chance must check in on that meetup thing as well. Did that ever take off Gavin ? and are you nearly finished your comparison of the CMS's ?

gav240z

I guess I just found joomla too "set" for my liking and didn't like how you've got to get plugins for xyz to work the way you want it to.

A lot of the features I wanted should have been core features unfortunately.

Yes I used joomla a good bit so its not a case of I just couldn't figure it out .. I figured it out and just thought this isn't how it should work.

I must give drupal a go when I get a chance must check in on that meetup thing as well. Did that ever take off Gavin ? and are you nearly finished your comparison of the CMS's ?

I'm getting there, I've been learning more and more about Drupal. I've also been themeing and building a site which I want to launch soon that will use Drupal.

There's alot to learn about Drupal though. Unfortunately its not very friendly to first time users simply because its so flexible that there is more than 1 way to achieve the same thing.

I do plan to finish my review eventually, I actually didn't think it would take me so long to evaluate these systems, had I have known I would have left the article in my drafts.

I tend to agree in that Joomla is not very flexible and it makes you work the way it wants you to work, it doesn't really allow you to do what you want with it.

One great feature of Drupal is the multisite set up. 1 code base to maintain and you can add other websites.

I've got this working with Carbon Motorsport | Japanese Performance Cars and Vintage JDM | Classic Japanese Car Owners Club

There are some good drupal help sites out there that make the learning curve easier.

Drupal Modules - Search, Rate, and Review Drupal Modules

Drupal School | The Art Lab

Friendly Expert Drupal Consulting | Lullabot

Are just a few, if you are looking to get started with Drupal that is.

Sorry to thread jack! :)

Joomla51

I believe alot of the big template designers out there for Joomla have stopped supporting 1.0 .. rockettheme, shape5 etc. I think its the same for alot of the hosting companies with auto installers for joomla?.

Unless its a case where you have a very specific module or component that will only work on 1.0 i'd always go for 1.5

nevf

I believe alot of the big template designers out there for Joomla have stopped supporting 1.0 .. rockettheme, shape5 etc. I think its the same for alot of the hosting companies with auto installers for joomla?.

Unless its a case where you have a very specific module or component that will only work on 1.0 i'd always go for 1.5
Besides user interface and module compatibility, what else does 1.5 have that 1.0 doesn't have?

Joomla51

Supposedly the framework of Joomla 1.5 was totally recoded from scratch. The original framework had been there since the old mambo cms.

The recoded framework does feel very apparent for anyone that has used both of them, although from a features point of view you'll find little or no improvement, i do reckon it has given the cms a more stable foundation for future versions.

They say the main improvements would be noticed more by developers and it does seem to run much better with 3rd party components and modules.

Other claimed improvement are faster loading and more secure.

From my own personal stance it has made template design a lot simpler.

I suspect in time backward compatability will also become a bigger issue

Briask

yes, 1.0.x goes End Of Life in June 2009, the 1.5 branch stays alive with the 1.6 branch currently in development/test.

Apollo

I'm on 1.5

As for Joomla!, I find it a very annoying system.
Yes, there is a lot of modules and other items, but for some reason, I find it very fussy, and doesn't offer the simplicity of Drupal, of which I am a big fan.

Drupal, however, is simple, clean and easy, but it's not as flexible directly as Joomla!

Byron

I use Joomla 1.5, used to design in Joomla 1.0.x for a company. They are still glancing at 1.5 by the looks of it. But I would be very cautious doing anything with 1.0.x, support seems to have been more or less dropped on their website, all new components / plugins are for 1.5.

I do find it a little annoying the lack of user access options and the complexity of simple tasks, like configuring new modules to appear correctly.

With a full knowledge of CSS and XHTML it's perfect with those two quibbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.