Legality of Hosting a Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

I'm looking into setting up a site which will be somewhat similar to www.mybosslied.ie and ratemysolicitor.com

The site i'm making this enquiry about will allow users to add their thoughts and opinions on a subject matter (irish subject matter). Their point of view may not be liked by those who are mentioned in the posts.

So my questions are:

Can some legal implications be avoided if you host your site outside of Ireland?
If you host abroad but you use a .ie domain name, can you avoid any legal implications?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Can some legal implications be avoided if you host your site outside of Ireland?
Not entirely. Regardless of where a site is hosted you'd still have to face Irish law for any defamation /slander etc.,
If you host abroad but you use a .ie domain name, can you avoid any legal implications?

See above

Cormac

but if i hosted in america, for example, the only way for a company to sue me would be to go thru the US court system... is that right?

bizhat

No, Only Ireland Law apply to you, not US law. If you host illegal site in US, what they can do is disable your site.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless of where you host if you are an Irish citizen and you slander / defame etc., you could be pursued in Irish courts etc.,

Gavin

Interesting read on that page but what I am confused about is who in their right mind would dare to pubically bash a solicitor? That is just asking for trouble.

I also thought that hosting a site in the US would avoid this type of issue, glad to have learned this is not the case.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Taking on legal eagles was a bit dumb.. They're more likely to be in a position to fight back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.