Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzi

I have been asked to re-submit an application to the IEDR for a .ie domain I recently purchased (I don't really want to say what it is).
It is an online hotel booking system that I am writing in Ajax/ASP.NET. It is not a commercial site, just a kind of showcase site that I want to have online so I can show employers what I can do (ASP,SQL, Ajax, CSS etc.).
I am applying as a natural person and the category I chose was "discretionary name" as having read through the IEDR's registration policy I think these give me the best chance of success as they require the least amount of documentation.
However there seems to be conflicting rules for this category.
On https://www.domainregistry.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php it says the following:

"Where the applicant is a natural person:
Together with information showing their claim to the proposed domain name, non-trading individuals applying under the discretionary name category must provide adequate documentary evidence confirming their identity.
Acceptable documentation would include a copy of the applicant's passport, birth certificate, driver's license or Irish revenue / social welfare document showing PPS number."

On Quick Guide to Registrations
I found this:
Discretionary Name:
"We require a detailed letter from the applicant outlining their claim on the proposed domain name. If the applicant is a registered company or has a registered business name, please supply the registered numbers within the letter."

Maybe someone has asked this question before (I apologise if it has) but I would like to know if anyone here has applied on these category terms before and what are my chances of having the application accepted?
If I understand the Registration Policy correctly I just have to send a letter making a convincing claim for the domain (that it is a demonstration site) and a copy of my birth certificate or driver's license.
Will this be enough?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to get a .ie to use as a portfolio then the simplest option is to get yourname.ie using your passport or other documentation.

Anything that is even vaguely commercial is best got using Sole Trader > Registered Business Name

fonzi

If you want to get a .ie to use as a portfolio then the simplest option is to get yourname.ie using your passport or other documentation.

Anything that is even vaguely commercial is best got using Sole Trader > Registered Business Name

Bugger. But the thing is it's not actually commercial. Yes it's a hotel booking system but the hotels and bookings are fictitious. I'll need a VAT number if I apply as a sole trader.

hosting365

Go to CRO - Home - get an RBN form and complete it online - you can use the confirmation details from the CRO to get the .ie domain.

The RBN will cost €30 and the .ie domain should cost €25.95

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
I think they're still 20 Euro if you do it online. It's a pity they don't take credit card or Laser payments :(
Yea it was 20 when I last did one. Had to get a Bank Draft as I don't have a personal cheque book which was a pain. However a friend of mine did one a few weeks back and he just put a €20 note in the envelope with the signing sheet and all went through fine, so might try that next time for handiness sake.

hosting365

My error, it is €20 for the RBN - not bad considering an RBN and a.ie can now cost less than a .ie does still from many places (€45 euro) ;)

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
plus vat ... if you're only registering the RBN I doubt people will have registered for vat ...

rooneydavid

I think we can all agree, the .IE is a pain to get. To much paper work. You would think in this day in age that you can do it all online through one signup form. Is there any all in one services for getting a .IE, I mean the RBN and .IE for X price?

hosting365

Not at the moment, the only place you can get the RBN is cro.ie unless you want to pay a premium to a company formation business (many of whom will also secure the .ie, through a reseller) but you will pay a hefty premium.

rooneydavid

Awww, forget that idea. I want a .IE but Im not bothered with all the paperwork.

Let get this straight, I can get my personal name "davidrooney.ie" with just sending a copy of my passport with the application? But anything else I need a RBN?

fonzi

From what you've told me it looks like it's a waste of time to continue with the application under the class I have chosen (discretionary name).
There's "Class" and "Category" to fill in when you apply (it's with register365, sorry blacknight!).
Under "Class" there's eight choices:
  1. Natural Person
  2. Discretionary Applicant
  3. Body Corporate
  4. School/Educational Institution
  5. Constitutional Body
  6. Sole Trader
  7. Unincorporated Association
  8. Statutory Body.
I will change the class to sole trader then I presume I should change the category to "Registered business name"?
There are five choices under "Categories":
  1. Corporate name
  2. Discretionary name
  3. Publication name
  4. Registered business name
  5. Registered Trademark name

hosting365

Wait until the IEDR refuse the discretionary application, you can then get an RBN, change the categories and try again. There is no charge to re-attempt and we'll refund you in full if for any reason you dont want to proceed.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Let get this straight, I can get my personal name "davidrooney.ie" with just sending a copy of my passport with the application? But anything else I need a RBN?

Pretty much. You can get other names, but you would have to do paperwork etc.,

Status
Not open for further replies.