loosing registrar removed dns

Status
Not open for further replies.

byronyasgur

i began a domain transfer last week and it finally went through yesterday. My client's email went down straight away and he of course phoned me. I have transferred a good few domains over the years but i never had this happen because in all cases the loosing registrar granted at least a few days grace for the nameservers to be switched and propogated before they removed the dns routing ..... have i just been lucky and am i naieve not to specifically request this, or is there some other possibility that could have caused my client's email to go down - ( i didnt do a thorough dns check at the time and dns wouldnt be my forte anyway so im not sure i could determine exactly whether or not he had switched off the mx routing ) but i was under the impression that servers that had not yet propogated to the new nameservers would just use the old dns until they had ... ??? so doesnt that pretty much say that they must have switched them off straight away

anyway the situation that i'm now is one of confusion because the domain and email works fine on my pc and when i do a propogation check it looks like all the servers "have" the new ip, but my client can neither get into the email that i set up for him, NOR can he view his webpage on his pc - does anyone have any advice

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Normally they wouldn't be switched off, but if there was a billing dispute or something the losing registrar / reseller / host may have disabled them ..

As for the dns - if everything is setup properly with the new provider it's simply a matter of waiting. Your client might have some success rebooting their router, but they may just need to wait

byronyasgur

no billing dispute that i was aware of .... maybe a mistake or something :confused:

rebooting router - do you just mean powering on and off or pressing the reset buttong ( doesnt pressing the reset button return the box to factory setting on some models ? )

do you know is it normal for people on irish ISPs to have to wait a long time ( i think the propogation had taken effect on my machine after about 20mins whereas he was waiting 36 hours last time i talked with him ).... i kinda assumed there would be some order to the propagation and that people far away from the activity (eg new zealand or somewhere ) would be the ones having to wait the longest, and people where the activity originates ( ireland in this case) would get the newly propagated NS's the earliest ......or is the distribution random ?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
no billing dispute that i was aware of .... maybe a mistake or something :confused:

rebooting router - do you just mean powering on and off or pressing the reset buttong ( doesnt pressing the reset button return the box to factory setting on some models ? )

Power button or just unplug it

do you know is it normal for people on irish ISPs to have to wait a long time ( i think the propogation had taken effect on my machine after about 20mins whereas he was waiting 36 hours last time i talked with him ).... i kinda assumed there would be some order to the propagation and that people far away from the activity (eg new zealand or somewhere ) would be the ones having to wait the longest, and people where the activity originates ( ireland in this case) would get the newly propagated NS's the earliest ......or is the distribution random ?

It depends on a number of things

• the TTL expiry on the previous registrar's DNS
  • possible DNS caching on his ISP
  • some oddity with his DSL router

Status
Not open for further replies.