Moving a clients site to a new web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Hi all,

I have a situation that I hope someone can help with.

I have designed a website for a client and require a windows server to install it on. I have done this.

The client domain currently points at a linux server. It stores its email etc.

What I want to do is, change the domain name and point it at the windows server. I hope to minimize downtime. The main issue is with the email address. I do not want a situation the client dont lose emails or not receive them during the changeover.

What is the best approach to this? Please ask questions if I havent explained myself clearly.

Thanks.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Best approach is to setup all the email accounts on the new host keeping the same passwords for all accounts if possible.

Once you change the DNS to point at the new server ... things will just changeg over ....

However depending if the client is keeping all the old emails on the server ... you may need to copy them first ?

Assuming that the mail server is running from mail.domainname.com and both hosts have the same setup ... things should just transition smoothly

Amateur

Best approach is to setup all the email accounts on the new host keeping the same passwords for all accounts if possible.

Once you change the DNS to point at the new server ... things will just changeg over ....

However depending if the client is keeping all the old emails on the server ... you may need to copy them first ?

Assuming that the mail server is running from mail.domainname.com and both hosts have the same setup ... things should just transition smoothly

Forbairt,

Thanks very much for this information. It is similar to the approach I had planned to take.

2 questions, the client is keeping all the old emails on the linux server, how can I copy them?

And, when I change the nameservers of the URL to point at the new windows server, will there be a period of downtime. I know it can take up to 24 hours for this change to take force regarding the website and I am concerned that the same situation will occur with the email. Or will emails instantaneously following the change be redirected to the new windows server?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The delay during the switch over will depend on the TTL of the DNS, so if you can lower it to 5 minutes it will save you a lot of headaches

Amateur

The delay during the switch over will depend on the TTL of the DNS, so if you can lower it to 5 minutes it will save you a lot of headaches

Thanks blacknight. Speaking as a novice, how do I / can I, lower the TTL of the DNS to 5 minutes?

Forbairt

Speaking as a novice, how do I / can I, lower the TTL of the DNS to 5 minutes?

More than likely the simplest solution is to ask your current registrar to change it for a bit ...

Its probably currently set to something like 86400

Amateur

I am currently in the process of transferring a client.

I have set up the new web space. I have recreated the email addresses on this web space and uploaded the website.

So, i believe what i need to do is, change the nameservers of the domain name. It is purchased directly from iedr.

So what do I need to do, to make the domain name pick up the new web host quickly and prevent loss of email? Slightly confused who I ask to change the TTL (what does this stand for?) etc.

Forbairt

So what do I need to do, to make the domain name pick up the new web host quickly and prevent loss of email? Slightly confused who I ask to change the TTL (what does this stand for?) etc.

I've only dealt directly with the IEDR the once .. they are pricey to deal with directly (in terms of .ie domain registration its what 80 quid ? ) compared to blacknight or hosting 365 at ... 21 and 22 respectively

TTL stands for time to live (I'm not an expert but its basically tells the world how often it should try to refresh the information it holds on your domain name ( Thats my understanding .. I should probably have read up more on it ) There will still be a trickle effect in place though as everything updates. Hopefully it should take no more than 24 hours ... most crowds say 24 - 48 hours (but I've recently had a bit of a nightmare moving from one crowd)

Amateur

Thanks for the information.

How can I reduce the wait period of 24 - 48 hrs? Also what happens emails sent to the customer during this period?

Forbairt

by reducing the TTL you'll hopefully reduce this ... still though ... there is always going to be a propagation delay

Set up the email accounts on the new system for the customer and have them monitor both systems (unfortunately I don't know of any other way of doing it)

Amateur

Thanks for that.

I will set up the email accounts for them and set the new account as default. The can then therefore receive email from both accounts during the period of TTL.

Is is the iedr or who I ask to reduce the TTL?

Amateur

Get the current dns provider to drop the TTL, but that won't be possible with a lot of them, as they don't have that kind of control over DNS

It can go to either location

As the domain name is purchased from the IEDR by the client, I will need to contact them and see if i can reduce the TTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.