Multilingual Sites... recommend a translator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbehan

I've been asked to research converting a clients site into Polish, Lithuanian, Russian and Chinese. Can anyone recommend a good company/individual(s) that would be able to do this? I know I can Google it but I prefer recommendations.

Thanks, Dave

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'd recommend posting on http://www.proz.com

I used to use it when I was translation manager for a company in Milan

WORD OF WARNING: Make sure that you specify _exactly_ which information you need and that you specify the speciality etc.,

If you need any tips on it give me a buzz

gary.b

For slavic languages (Polish, Lithuanian, Russian) - it's best to get someone from that country to translate - there are a lot of "cultural" nuances that you just have to know.

Eh.. blowing my own trumped a bit here: I could help you with the Russian translation (i'll put you in touch with someone fluent, and who's done translations for a few irish companies looking to hire eastern europeans) Rates are *Very* competitive. It's my mother btw :p

What's the website url? (PM me the link please if you don't want to advertise it..) - How big is the website? (approx. word count ?)

--
I asked, and she's up for it as long as it's all legal and stuff (well.. everything is still at her discretion).

English -> Russian & Ukrainian can be arranged.

I'd really like to see the site though.

davidbehan

For slavic languages (Polish, Lithuanian, Russian) - it's best to get someone from that country to translate - there are a lot of "cultural" nuances that you just have to know.

Eh.. blowing my own trumped a bit here: I could help you with the Russian translation (i'll put you in touch with someone fluent, and who's done translations for a few irish companies looking to hire eastern europeans) Rates are *Very* competitive. It's my mother btw :p

What's the website url? (PM me the link please if you don't want to advertise it..) - How big is the website? (approx. word count ?)

--
I asked, and she's up for it as long as it's all legal and stuff (well.. everything is still at her discretion).

English -> Russian & Ukrainian can be arranged.

I'd really like to see the site though.
Hi Gary,

I'd be interested in talking with you. Will send you a PM with the site. Good point about having a native do the translations... I agree with you there. I'd be interested in passing the work to you but can you cover Polish, Lithuanian and Russian. I wasn't 100% from your post that you (and your mother) could handle all 3.

I'll get you to price on it anyway and we can take it from there.

Rgds,

Dave

gary.b

Dave, she can translate to Russian and Ukrainian - but not Polish or Lithuanean. I'll PM you with contact info and a quote shortly.

davidbehan

Dave, she can translate to Russian and Ukrainian - but not Polish or Lithuanean. I'll PM you with contact info and a quote shortly.
Cool. I've gotten quotes off some companies as well, e.g. Professional translation services in UK and Ireland and Translation services company. Eurotext Translation Agency but I'd like to hear from you too.

Thanks for the link Arch-Stanton, they could help fill the gap gary.b doesn't do.

Well, first stage is to get estimates from people to provide to client and from there they can make a decision about who to use so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

davidbehan

Cool. I've gotten quotes off some companies as well, e.g. Professional translation services in UK and Ireland and Translation services company. Eurotext Translation Agency but I'd like to hear from you too.

Thanks for the link Arch-Stanton, they could help fill the gap gary.b doesn't do.

Well, first stage is to get estimates from people to provide to client and from there they can make a decision about who to use so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave
oh, information I provided those companies was as follows:

- Approx. 3,000 words on generic text pages
- Approx. 4,000 words within phrases that are to be reused within a CMS

That might help you on the quotation. That's what I provided to the other companies I talked to along with the website address.

Rgds,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.