Multiple sites and how best to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom182

Hi,
I am looking at the best/logical way to do this., i work with a manufacturer and for one of their products we have a product brochure website that is in 14 different languages and domains, (e.g. mysite.de, mysite.fr mysite.es etc...)
Each site was professionally translated but never really promoted or any seo work done.
I am thinking of adding a 'buy now' button on each of the sites, however the manufacturer does not want to be the online seller (because this would probably upset their other distributors) so I am forced to bring the actual transaction/cart part off the original site (e.g. mysite.de, mysite.fr mysite.es etc...) and into another site where they can buy it. This site can be a .com domain and handle all foreign sites feeding into it.
Q1: what options/pitfalls are out there for multiple languages when using an ecomm suite?
Q2: Is it necessary to have the cart part of site in local language, if in English will it turn potential buyers away?

I might try paypal to test the water so-to-speak and see if the product actually sells

any pointers would be much appreciated,

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Q1 - you'd probably need multiple currencies and you'd also need to be careful with terms / conditions etc.,
depending on the choice of shopping cart software however it might not be that hard ..
Q2 - depends what you are selling and to whom

K

Kieran

Hi,
I am looking at the best/logical way to do this., i work with a manufacturer and for one of their products we have a product brochure website that is in 14 different languages and domains, (e.g. mysite.de, mysite.fr mysite.es etc...)
Each site was professionally translated but never really promoted or any seo work done.
I am thinking of adding a 'buy now' button on each of the sites, however the manufacturer does not want to be the online seller (because this would probably upset their other distributors) so I am forced to bring the actual transaction/cart part off the original site (e.g. mysite.de, mysite.fr mysite.es etc...) and into another site where they can buy it. This site can be a .com domain and handle all foreign sites feeding into it.
Q1: what options/pitfalls are out there for multiple languages when using an ecomm suite?
Q2: Is it necessary to have the cart part of site in local language, if in English will it turn potential buyers away?

I might try paypal to test the water so-to-speak and see if the product actually sells

any pointers would be much appreciated,

Won't the other sellers notice that he is still selling the product irrespective of where the transaction is taking place?

But most modern shopping carts should support multiple currencies (Euro $ Sterling at least anyway or with a minor modification in the code be able to support it. I assume you have shipping sorted OK of course.

In my opinion if the experience at that stage is localised then it might annoy a little especially if the attraction in the first place was having all the content in the local language.

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.