Status
Not open for further replies.

companyhotseat

Hi All,

Im new to this so here we go!!!

Just set up a new website recently offering FREE webpages to all Irish Companies and Businesses, sole traders and individuals offering services and would like some honest feedback if anyone would be so kind!

This is the second time I have changed the site design since I got bad feedback from the first version I did. You just cant make everyone happy!!!

The address is

CompanyHotSeat.com - The Free Irish Business Directory

Once registered you can login, change your details, all the the usual stuff. ALL PHP and mysql driven... By the way PHP is so much more powerful than asp. I started off on asp but PHP is so much more efficient.

A tip I can give you if you are designing php driven sites download xAMPP. Its an Apache server with php, mysql, and even ftp. The best around.

Thanks for reading...

J

louie

good idea but the design... a bit too much for me. The text in the images could do with a bit of smoothness, and there is no colour coordination there (one of my week point as well - that's where my partner comes in.

companyhotseat

Thanks Lou,

I agree with you. Those images on the main page on the right hand side need some work!

I just need some inspiration of what to put there. Another website I did recently is ICEfone - Text ICE to 51000 The design is probably a bit better as I spend some time on it!!!

This webdesign is a tricky business!!!

J

matt-dublin

you need to do a lot of work with your graphics. they're extreemly grainy!

and not just the ones on the right hand side, all of them.

i know (i think) what you're trying to offer, but, for the life of me, i can't see it well explained on either of those sites you've designed.

you're icefone page doesn't validate: [Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.icefone.ie/ - W3C Markup Validator

neither does companyhotseat: [Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.companyhotseat.com/ - W3C Markup Validator

I think in both sites you need to simplify, remember people who will be looking at your websites won't necessarily be web designers so don't try and do cool flashy things to impress designers. Think straight to the point and make it as user friendly as possible so that your potential clients recieve what you're trying to sell in a straightforward manner.

davidbehan

I think you should get a designer to put it together professionally. If you're handy with code then great but you need the frontend looking good as well as acting good! Personally I would never use that site based on the design alone! Sorry to be so harsh!

companyhotseat

Great Comments

Hey All,

Many Thanks for your great comments... I did go and change the banner on the right handside of the site but I dont think people will think its enough... I need to push myself harder..

While I muster up a new design from scratch I will leave this site run for a few weeks. This is the second design of the site I did and people did not like the first one. My GF does not even like this one she prefers the old one.

Oh yeah, someone was saying to me about CSS Templates.. I have used them to great extents but my problems with them is you are limited to just slopping in text to them and not being able to change logo's and if you d everything goes every where. Also there is no better feeling that building a site from scratch. I like tables. If you are good at CSS then fire away but im more a php,mysql and asp man...

Functionality is the key I think and then asthetics follow...:D

Any more comments anybody???

J

louie

I am sorry to say but you are wrong about css and if you are serious about web design and development, you should start learning it.

Give it a go and if you need help just ask.
In no-time you will be happy you gave it a try.

companyhotseat

Joomla

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the advice.

Im just playing around with Joomla now. Its savage. Have it installed on my local machine using xampp.

I will have to use it somewhere..!!!

J

paul

Ninja
Sorry I had to post this YouTube - Iggy Pop - Louie Louie
:D
anyway ,

This is a terrible image. What did you make it in, paint ?

How are you going to promote this site (and make money) ?
Do you verify the details of the companies that information ?

companyhotseat

Images

Made the image myself... Its a bit big I agree but you did notice it you did. Sometimes things that people dont like grabs their attention even more.

Not sure for the future plans of the site...

I wrote all the back end code my self.

What do you mean about verifying info???

J

davidbehan

Unfortunately forums are a bit of a dime a dozen ... monitoring them all takes a lot of effort .. hence I try to stick to less than a Dozen :D
I'm involved in a good few forums and I used Netvibes to get my feeds. It allows me to see what's new on all the forums at a quick glance.

companyhotseat

info

Their details get sent do their email account. Including password and user name.

Once they register their page goes up immediately. They have to get the password from their email to change their details/password.

How do you propose to check everyones details. Ring them all!!!!

It is assumed that people who are advertising are providing the correct details otherwise they would not be wasting their time.

Check my terms on the page I have a fair bit covered there.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.