My Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmryan

Everyone on the net seems to mention their myspace profile from time to time, and to be honest I just don’t get it, My Space, has to be thee ugliest site on the net, the profiles themselves are so hard to read, full of bad HTML ugly backgrounds, and it is very hard to enjoy the site, its also full of SPAM users and adverts, after I registered my profile I have over 10 requests from people to become my friends, obviously an automated SPAM program!

Compare this to Bebo – the site is simple to use and has neat designs, there is no competition, so why is My Space more popular – is it because they got there first? Or am I completely missing something wonderful about this social site.

Myself I’m not into those social sites, but just interested to hear other peoples reactions?

daviddoran

Of course you're right John, MySpace is the worst-designed, worst-looking site on the net. This does not particularly help it (the customizability does!) but MySpace's pull was such that even this posed no problem at all.
The difference is that MySpace is people, without people it is nothing. The people that keep MySpace making $200 million /year are not technical. All they want is to catch up with friends, see some pictures of them drunk and comment with a big "Love you biatch" 2MB jpeg.

It is similar to why we might use the command line, the "classic" ugly windows interface, but probably not the new shiny Vista. The reason is we want the function, and the look isn't that important.

The bottom line is that people so want to contact friends etc. that they will wait through outages, put up with errors, accept 1Mb pages, let flash videos shout into their headphones, you name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.