NAS drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdenWeb

This is all new to me butttttt ..... I bought a sexy NAS drive (QNAP 209 Pro) and have it hooked up to my Router and configured and working fine.

I want to enable the FTP service and allow remote login but I am on a dynamic IP address and the device IP address changes every day. It looks like the NAS supports DDNS using the dyndns.com service and this would remedy the IP address problem.

I can see where in the NAS countrol panel this option is BUT I have also found the DDNS and dyndns.com options in the Router's control panel too.

So I'm wondering which would be best to enter my dyndns settings into.

Again - all new to me so I may be getting my terms mixed up :eek:
Cheers!

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
Hey Peter

Set up DDNS up on your router and then use NAT to forward all traffic on port 21 to your NAS.

This way you also access other computers on network using DDNS and NAT. When you are etting it up on dyndns.com tick the box to alow wildcards. Then you can use the hostnames to do the NAT so you could have ftp.yourname.dyndns.com sent to your NAS and www.yourname.dyndns.com sent to a linux box or something or mypc.yourname.dyndns.com sent to your comp to VNC in or something.

EdenWeb

Thanks Frodo! I've no idea how but I finally did it!

Have added the Dynamic DNS details to the Router, created inbound rules for FTP and HTTP to forward to the IP address of the NAS.

Now I can remotely access my NAS, Router login and NAS FTP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.