Status
Not open for further replies.

Dara

Anyone being affected in a major way with the new set of serps that have been rolling out on Google for the past few days? Seems to be a lot of fluxing still going on and it appears not to be caffeine related. Just wondering if others are experiencing similar issues and if so their thioughts.

Aves

I think the SERPs were changing on a regular basis before Caffeine was even announced. I haven't noticed any unusual ranking changes in the last 7-10 days that wasn't happening 6 months ago.
I think website traffic from search is a much more important metric to measure than rankings.

Dara

I think the SERPs were changing on a regular basis before Caffeine was even announced. I haven't noticed any unusual ranking changes in the last 7-10 days that wasn't happening 6 months ago.
I think website traffic from search is a much more important metric to measure than rankings.
Its nothing to do with Caffeine which hasn't as far as I am aware even gone live on any DCs bar one used for testing it. Of course traffic is an important metric but decent serps=traffic and what was happening over the course of the past week was not the normal moving up or down a few positions-it was the loss in many cases of the main homepage of sites-pages that previously ranked on page 1 out of in many cases I watch over 200 million results, positions attained over months and years of hard work.

It has stabililed for now as far as I can see but there may yet be more to follow-hopefully not.

Aves

it was the loss in many cases of the main homepage of sites-pages that previously ranked on page 1
Sorry to hear. If it was happening to one or two sites it might have been a penalty but the fact it's happening to many sites seems unusual. Is the home page indexed when you search for site:website url ?

The sites that you've noticed this happening to - are they all sites that you've looked after or have you seen it happening across the board?

Dara

Sorry to hear. If it was happening to one or two sites it might have been a penalty but the fact it's happening to many sites seems unusual. Is the home page indexed when you search for site:website url ?

The sites that you've noticed this happening to - are they all sites that you've looked after or have you seen it happening across the board?
Its sites across the board not just my own-its not a penalty as far as I can accertain but a google glitch. Most seem to have come back to where they were for a number of both my own and other sites/serps I keep an eye on. "SEO" for example was one keyword in particular that was all over the place for a few days.

achieve

Just did a quck check for my top preferred search term. In the early days, my site used to perform well for this, but with more & more competition, and also some neglect my side I did slide down a lot, from page 1 to page 5, but was still doing well for other phrases. Interestingly, I did do some SEO work on my site some months ago, and although there was an initial increase in the SERP, site soon dropped to it's more normal position.

Then today after reading this post I did another check and see that I am now No 3 having jumped up from say position 39 or so. Let's see how long this lasts.

Ironically enough, I do do SEO work for existing clients, and in general achieve very good results, but it was with my own site I was having problems!

achieve

Just did a quck check for my top preferred search term. In the early days, my site used to perform well for this, but with more & more competition, and also some neglect my side I did slide down a lot, from page 1 to page 5, but was still doing well for other phrases. Interestingly, I did do some SEO work on my site some months ago, and although there was an initial increase in the SERP, site soon dropped to it's more normal position.

Then today after reading this post I did another check and see that I am now No 3 having jumped up from say position 39 or so. Let's see how long this lasts.

Ironically enough, I do do SEO work for existing clients, and in general achieve very good results, but it was with my own site I was having problems!

I had better make an amendment to my previous post here. I inadvertantly had turned on Google's Web History / Personalisation. Thus Google was presenting me with what I wanted to see. Back to the drawing board!

seodublin

I believe Googles web history is automatically turned on by default. For those who want to turn it off and see the real indexing of their pages follow the steps below:

1. If you have the Google Toolbar goto Options or the blue wrench icon and make sure "store search history on my computer" is unchecked
    and save.
  2. In your Google search results page goto Web History on the top right hand corner of Google, and Disable customisations based on search activity.
Now perform a search again for your search term and see did it make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.