Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I just took a look in Opera 9.0

Screen shot

Note the bottom!

Well you are a wee bit biased :)

Having said that ... You'd think they'd have tested it against ALL common browsers.

Opera is a pain, but it's used by enough people that an ecommerce site would need to work to some degree in it....

grandad

Well you are a wee bit biased :)

I am actually trying to be impartial here.

But having put so much blood and sweat into the old site, I hate to see standards dropping. I would be fine with it if it worked.

On the old site, there was a small feature that relied on Javascript, and there were lots of complaints that it didn't work. So I recoded it. End of problem.

I now notice that the new site relies very heavily on Javascript and if the latter is disabled, the whole thing falls apart.

Surely any web house worth it's salt will not rely on a feature that is dependant on the client's settings?

jmcc

The more I look at that design, the more I wonder how magico could make such a balls of such a simple site. Perhaps the blue splodges are meant to be some artistic effect that I am too techie to appreciate. And if this is meant to be an online commerce site why is buying so counter-intuitive - placing that buy link at the top where it gets lost when you scroll down is seriously stupid. Did these these people even get some usability testing done on the site?

Regards...jmcc

TheMenace

Yep. It seems when put through some basic tests, it does fall flat on its ass. It also seems that XHTML and CSS were used for the sake of it. Having said this, it's still a big step up for Magico. Let's hope they keep improving. For the sake of the industry in this country.

And Opera is an absolutely w*nk browser. It would be the best browser if other browsers didn't exist; but it's proprietary handling of forms and late AJAX support are a real annoyance.

RedCardinal

OMFG!

I just tried it in lynx to see what would happen:

Funny, Either I'm a complete moron or they are reading this and fixing something. I have no problems with JS off. But I do notice they are hosting the main image on the Magico server: http://www.magico.ie/files/admin/uploads/W147_F_Image_1_14435.jpg Odd.

RedCardinal

I take it back. Lynx gives me:
Your internet browser is not capable of displaying this site. Try again using at least Internet Explorer 5 or Firefox. No CSS Support No Javascript Support
This could deserve some fun, and seen as my current traffic is about x2... :D Hmmm... I cant replicate this in FF with JS turned off. And boy do thy have a tonne of JS in there. I don't see where they are sniffing. Please say they aren't sniffing this out on the server?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what they've fixed, but I now get:

Code:
 Your internet browser is not capable of displaying this site. Try again using at least Internet Explorer 5 or Firefox.
   No CSS Support
   No Javascript Support

Surely I should be able to choose whether I want to view a site or not?

RedCardinal

I don't know what they've fixed, but I now get:

Code:
 Your internet browser is not capable of displaying this site. Try again using at least Internet Explorer 5 or Firefox.
   No CSS Support
   No Javascript Support

Surely I should be able to choose whether I want to view a site or not?
Oh no... this just gets better and better. Now I'm almost pissing myself in the hotel bar :D

I'm not going to give away the details just yet, but this one is a shocker.

Blogged the JS issue here and left a tickler for O'Briens:
Blind People Can’t Eat Chocolate | Search Engine Optimisation Ireland .:. Red Cardinal

RedCardinal

Is Michele going into SEO/usability/site architecture?

*worries about new competition from someone who might actually know more than they realise*

I'm just waiting for the call in about 2-4 weeks. I don't often use the word incompetent...

Status
Not open for further replies.