Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron

Yea, I would say:

• Remove the counter, use Google Analytics to self monitor traffic / search terms.
  • Maybe include a few images (legally obtained).
  • Include an actual email address, even in name{at) format, it just tends to reassure people of where emails are going.
  • Get a TOS and privacy policy onto the site.
  • Say what areas you serve.
  • Say what experience, etc you have.
  • Add a few free, simple tips to the site to assure people you know what your doing.

I know it's a major hitlist, but it probably matters.

Claudiu

Hey there!

I'd drop the counter as well, or at least center it if you really want to keep it. And now for the bad news:

If I really have a broken laptop, I want to be able to open the site and see where I can find you, I wouldn't waste time filling in a contact form to explain what happened when I can take my laptop with me to another place and get it fixed. This information should be cristal clear somewhere in the header maybe, at least a phone number.

Functionality-wise, there's no point in keeping wordpress if you're not using it as a blogging platform, maybe start writing some free tips like Byron suggested, that might even boost up the SEO a bit. Otherwise you could just get away with a 5 page static website that gets ranked better in the search engines.

On the inside pages, where you list your services, you might want to add a small description to each service like:
"Improving the speed of the Laptop - If you bought your new laptop with a preinstalled OS a long time ago, chances are your computer can perform faster without you actually loosing any data, it's just what happens on any computer, bring it over for a boost in spped" or something, convince me that I need to do it, otherwise I might just wait until it just crashes.

Ahmm, I'd drop the flash header, it's not much of an animation anyway so you could simply put a classic one instead which would allow you to put in some more info, edit it easier whenever you want. Also a bit of a boost in speed.

The contact us form looks very plain as it is, maybe write a small text about yourself or other methods that can be used to get in touch with you, like Byron suggested, an e-mail address gets a bit more confidence on your side.

And finally, SEO. That's probably how most of your potential customers will find you. There are tons of SEO plugins out there for wordpress, I recommend something that would rewrite your URLs for posts/inside pages mainly. I'd also encourage you to write more, I know it's time consuming but sooner or later you can even get banned from Google for the amount of keywords per text ratio you have there. Also helps people find you easier.

Props for choosing wordpress, props for the blueish theme, I like it and finally props for working on your online presence :) Hope I didn't seem to hursh, it's just friendly advice really.

Byron

I would agree with Claudiu. Please don't find all these tips discouraging, most of us on here earn money off development / design / hosting / ownership of websites, so if you follow the best bits of our advice you hopefully will end up with something that really works for your business, and you.

Let us all know how you get on!

Cheers
B

Claudiu

What do you mean designing in tables? Like, actually using tables in HTML? That would be wrong, using divs is way more advisable, unless you need to display data in a tabular format.

As for counters, I rarely, if never, see them as being good to display on a website.

tricky_d

The spelling and puncutation mistakes and language is bad on this site. In the nav you have, 'OTHER SEVICES' and the very first line reads, 'Having you thinking of buying a PC or laptop but...' which doesn't really make sense properly and shows less than the required attention to detail. You need to look more professional as what's there doesn't inspire confidence.

The URLs are ugly to Search Engines and there almost no locality based marketing - only Stepaside is mentioned once on the whole site afaics.

Learn up on SEO instead of relying just on plugins.

There's also no postal address, so that's a lot of trust killed dead.

The Flash is unnecessary and slightly annoying.

K

Kieran

Agree with all the comments above. The site screams blog which isn't what you want and when you cant see the contact details you hammer the back button.

Think of your customer. Someone with a bust PC whos is frustrated and has a PC driving them crazy may have tried to do some work themselves - possibly on a deadline as PCs always break down when you have a deadline. They want to see contact - areas covered and even an idea of cost.

Being the sad character I am I googled laptop repairs dublin and the competition websites aren't great either so if you can smarten up the site with the comments above you could kick some ass out there.

If you don't want to mess about with designing your own theme consider buying an off the shelf theme from someone like Themeforest?

Also I would move the Wordpress to the top level domain and when I type Index of / I can see your directory structure. Get this sorted at least in the meantime.

Good luck with it - it is a very very competitve space and you need to differentiate yourself from the others to succeed....

Kieran

K

Kieran

Agree with all the comments above. The site screams blog which isn't what you want and when you cant see the contact details you hammer the back button.

Think of your customer. Someone with a bust PC whos is frustrated and has a PC driving them crazy may have tried to do some work themselves - possibly on a deadline as PCs always break down when you have a deadline. They want to see contact - areas covered and even an idea of cost.

Being the sad character I am I googled laptop repairs dublin and the competition websites aren't great either so if you can smarten up the site with the comments above you could kick some ass out there.

If you don't want to mess about with designing your own theme consider buying an off the shelf theme from someone like Themeforest?

Also I would move the Wordpress to the top level domain and when I type Index of / I can see your directory structure. Get this sorted at least in the meantime.

Good luck with it - it is a very very competitve space and you need to differentiate yourself from the others to succeed....

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.