Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Glad someone noticed and likes them :)

link8r

When did you upload them?

The little icons and power bars urge the competitive side in me to acquire more :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I installed it a week before Christmas I think .. I thought I'd posted about it, but I seem to have forgotten to ..

D

Deleted member 444

How is it "patronising"?
That I'm supposed to be motivated by imaginary points and little badges.
I may be just jaded and cynical from being on the development side of this sort of thing, but I'd compare it to spotting generic beautiful_smiling_woman.jpg stock photography a website and rolling your eyes.
No offence, I'm just tired of it as a thing.

link8r

That I'm supposed to be motivated by imaginary points and little badges.
I may be just jaded and cynical from being on the development side of this sort of thing, but I'd compare it to spotting generic beautiful_smiling_woman.jpg stock photography a website and rolling your eyes.
No offence, I'm just tired of it as a thing.

Its a community thing. If you look at it as just an icon/image then you haven't joined that community. its not an icon giving you the thumbs up - its a real person. And that's why there's so little spam here - because its a community of real people who are connected by similar interests and occupations but separated by geography. But we want to reward, share and let people know we appreciate them.

you can be anything you want to be - but if you think each thank you is from one peer to another peer [read: person] - then is it so bad?

There's plenty of cynicism - personally, its what keeps me alive. But I don't discount real people.

HTH.

paul

Ninja
Personally I find IWF very noisy, and not really a pleasure to visit anymore. I'm all for monetizing the site, but I think there should be some clean up here.

Some current issues

I can't upload larger images....

The logo doesn't really blend with the site colours. Then there the ads, ads, ads.

lots of buttons and images that are really unnecessary

What's the deal with the tags ?

There does seem to be a lot of forums and sub-fora and a fair bit of spam or posters who are just posting so that they can add their spam links once they've reached 10 posts.

One final gripe is threads like this :http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/off-topic-discussion/15370-favourite-sport.html

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Image sizes for upload - suggest what you want and why and I can probably change the settings
If you think a thread is unsuitable report it

paul

Ninja

Spam : I delete it when I see it. And tend to take the heavy approach, maybe more moderators are needed...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ok - I've disabled a couple of the extra options for the moment.
Paul - can you remember offhand where to set the image upload stuff?
As for the spam - if you can nuke any you come across please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.