Newbie PHP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye4It

ok..im not usually this stupid :D but what exactly do I need to download on Apaches site Download - The Apache HTTP Server Project
To be honest I think it's a very badly structured website for newbies to PHP such as myself.
I just need to know which files I must download....
and I thought PHP.net was a tad bit confusing, this site takes the biscuit!!

Oh, and how do I find out if my system is windows or windows x 64?

Briask

You don't say what you are looking for! Given you say you are a PHP newbie I guess you want to download whatever is required to run PHP on a website.

The easiest option is to use a package like WAMP Install PHP 5 Apache MySQL on Windows : WampServer which includes Apache webserver, PHP and MySQL database.

ziycon

First off Apache is only the web server software and doesn't have anything to do with PHP.

You have two easy options for the web server:

With SSL
Or
Without SSL

Then you need to download and install PHP once the webserver is up and running, you can get the most recent stable version here: PHP: Downloads

Edit: Everyones so much faster then me at typing!:(

Eye4It

thank you. and one more thing....im not exactly sure what a server is although i have an idea. if i make a site with php for a client,
do i need to keep the server up and running on my own comp in order for the php to work 24/7 on my clients site? or am i completely on the wrong track?
anyways, im learning from W3 schools as im HUNGRY for all this info!

ghost

lamp wamp xampp

When you purchase A hosting account you will in most cases have an option of Apache or IIS Web server software installed on the host machine this will also include PHP Mysql among other things , Once the website is uploaded to the hosts server it will function completely independent of your home machine.
Installing apache php mysql on your own PC is for development and testing purposes only.
one of the Combinations recommended by previous posters will get you started .
Good luck with it.

byronyasgur

i liked this video - to a certain extent it might not be relevant because it is using both jumpbox and wamp server to setup a joomla environment, but wamp server would be relevant to you, even if you are not using joomla, there are a few servers you could use to run php, and wamp is one of them. anyway the video just shows it working and a picture paints a 1000 words ... it's only 10 mins anyway ( 2nd half of video he does wamp )

YouTube - Joomla CMS setup tutorial

shaunx

Mention what you are looking for.

Hello there,
You haven't mentioned what you are looking for. after that for tutorials about PHP you can Google it and can find many of them.I think you have to d tht before getting into PHP.

wheres me jumpa

The easiest option is to use a package like WAMP Install PHP 5 Apache MySQL on Windows : WampServer which includes Apache webserver, PHP and MySQL database.

Not sure if this is what OP is after, but this link saved the few remaining hairs on my head a few weeks back. I was trying to get this set up locally, on Vista, reading so many forums and blogs on tweaks to config files. Found the above and after a few clicks it was done!

Status
Not open for further replies.