Not getting paid for overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benzino

So I'm working part-time for this small company, building them a new site. Over the last week or so, my employer has being pushing to get the site live (despite it not being ready). I said, I would have to work on my day off to get this done, even do an all-nighter (which I foolishly did, went 36 hours without sleep to get it up). He/She was well aware of all this overtime.

Now that pay day is soon approaching, I've been talking to other employees in the company, and all of them have said that they never get paid anything for working extra hours. I'm not please about this at all, and basically im planning what I can do if my employer refuses to pay.

I know it's my fault for not having anything in writing. But this is the thing, I've no contract with my employer at all. Everything is off the books in terms of me working there. I actually want to be on the books and pay tax, so I would be entitled to all the rights that come with doing so. But because everything is off the books, I can't really bring legal action against them.

I have access to the web server the site is on, I've the only copy of the site (as I used my only laptop and software to develop the site) and so im thinking on just taking the whole site down unless he pays.

Basically what am asking is, what would you do if your in my position? My current pay isn't good tbh, so leaving the job wouldn't brother me to much tbh.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You should have raised the issue with your employer before you worked the extra hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.