Not really too sure what I'm supposed to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicformedia

Hi guys,
I'm basically at beginner level of coding, and website creation etc. Lately I've just been messing around and making fairly simple websites and forums.

Lately I've made a large scale website (or planned it) - it uses a template I downloaded for free, so I'm editing the template and using it for each html page on the site - and I'm wondering about how to put the whole thing together.

Now, theres basically 2 pages (Dreamline: About This Template and Dreamline: About This Template) that have about 100 links on them, and then in each of those 100 links, there will be about about another 100 links. I think I'm basically looking at over a thousand links and html pages. Someone was saying that I can use a php database or mysql to make a normal page, and then have variables on it for each page instead of making a html page.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well. Basically what I was wondering is am I doing it right? Should I have over a thousand html pages for a site, or is that wrong lol?

I'll be uploading probably around 3000 pieces of software to it aswell, so i need one html page for each piece of software. Is there any easier way to do it?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
CMS Made simple ... would be a good one to use

Others will say Joomla .. (I won't)

Safari Club - African Safaris is one I put together with CMS Made Simple ... about 300 pages I think there ...

If you're starting out its not gonna be that easy to get to grips with everything but the basics of it are

Upload to your site
Setup a Database
Connect CMS Made Simple to Database

Then if you need you can start creating a general Template to fit your needs ... and go from there

Again its a bit of a learning curve ... but I really think a content management system would be the way to go for you

The links would be autogenerated (to a degree)

musicformedia

Hmm interesting. So is that basically like just having a set template that you use, and then it allows you to change the text, links, pictures in it etc.?

What I'm doing at the moment, is just opening my current template in NVU with most of the page already done, and just editing it to suit each different page.

Is that right, and is that basically what CMS Made Simple would do aswell yea?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
CMS Made simple ... basically gives you a login ...

You login ...

You add New page ...
This gives you the option of ...
Title ... Content .. Parent Page (basically who's you're daddy page) and various other options

It makes it all REALLY simple to do ...

It can also do some nice SEO things quite simply ...

mywebsitedotcom/parent/subparent/child/ and so on ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.