Status
Not open for further replies.

brianmartin

Hi - I am currenlty developing a new site for a non-profit organisation, it's based on Wordpress for content management. Their existing site is static and way out of date.

I'd like to publish interim versions of the new site on the Internet so they can review it online and also allow them to upload content via the Wordpress back-end.

Their existing hosting account doesn't support PHP or MySQL, so I can't build it for them in a sub-folder of the existing site.

I don't currenlty have a domain or hosting account of my own to host the new site under development though I would like to get one for this and future work.

Do I need to register a domain and get a hosting account to achieve this or are there other (cheap or free options) - such as using a sub-domain of a hosting provider for now?

When the site is complete I'll be sourcing them a new hosting account that has the necessary features. As a non-profit they don't have a large budget for hosting.

I plan to design more sites for clients in the future and would like to have an ability to share the work online with them, but I don't have a company name at this point in time, though I do plan to have my own domain and hosting. I understand I can't just register any old domain name on .ie as I need to show some ownership of the name.

Any advice would be appreciated.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't you register a generic .eu or .com and use subdomains or directories of that to show clients the work in progress?

brianmartin

Thanks - are there any restrictions on what generic names you can use for one of those sites? There's no requirement for proof of ownership like for .ie?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
.eu - you need an address in the EU
.com - no restrictions at all

They're both quick and easy to register

Any questions let me know :)

link8r

Hi - I am currenlty developing a new site for a non-profit organisation, it's based on Wordpress for content management. Their existing site is static and way out of date. I'd like to publish interim versions of the new site on the Internet so they can review it online and also allow them to upload content via the Wordpress back-end. Their existing hosting account doesn't support PHP or MySQL, so I can't build it for them in a sub-folder of the existing site.

I don't currenlty have a domain or hosting account of my own to host the new site under development though I would like to get one for this and future work.
Do I need to register a domain and get a hosting account to achieve this or are there other (cheap or free options) - such as using a sub-domain of a hosting provider for now? When the site is complete I'll be sourcing them a new hosting account that has the necessary features. As a non-profit they don't have a large budget for hosting.

I plan to design more sites for clients in the future and would like to have an ability to share the work online with them, but I don't have a company name at this point in time, though I do plan to have my own domain and hosting. I understand I can't just register any old domain name on .ie as I need to show some ownership of the name.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You can always request discretion or register a .ie as unincorporated. But cash flow sounds like an issue here. You don't need the domain to host it.

I wonder who the charity are - maybe you can get sponsorship?

PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.