Opencart multistore setup & SSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EggDesign

Hi guys

Im using Opencart to set up a multistore which could have up to 20 stores under 1 installation of opencart using different domains (not sub domains).

How does this work with SSL certs? I want to have different themed checkouts on each store but they will be using the same system if you know what I mean. Buying an SSL for each domain would be a bit expensive too Id presume.

Cheers

paul

Ninja
I don't think you can get one SSL cert for a domain collection. i.e. separate domain names, they are issued per domain, and can cover sub domains, with Wildcard SSL option. You can get a Rapid SSL cert for $11/year so 20 domains it's about €170 in total from places like thesslstore.com.

EggDesign

Thanks Paul. Does it make a difference that they are all pointing to same installation/directory though? So I take it I dont have to buy the ssl from my host, I can buy elsewhere and use on my hosting companys server? (probably a dumb question!)

paul

Ninja
Thanks Paul. Does it make a difference that they are all pointing to same installation/directory though?
For wildcard SSL they need to be on the same server AFAIK.
So I take it I dont have to buy the ssl from my host, I can buy elsewhere and use on my hosting companys server? (probably a dumb question!)
More often your host is just a reseller of SSL certs anyway, as they come from 'trusted' producers. You sometimes can buy direct from them, like Verisgn, but they don't really like the customer support side of things, I've found. So you go with a reseller, who offers a discount as they buy in bulk.

EggDesign

Cool thanks. So as all domains are pointing to same directory/server, is a wildcard my best solution? Or do they only work with sub domains?

paul

Ninja
Lots of places do this, like Paypal or Shopify, that push you to a payment page/server to complete the transaction.

Best option would be to pay $11 per domain to do it all on that domain though.

EggDesign

Yeah problem is im using realex on site payments, hopefully! Thanks for your help anyway. Ill see what the hosting company come back with.

Status
Not open for further replies.