php, mysql & .asp from same laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

Hi,:)

This is my first posting here so I hope this is in the right place.

I do most of my development offline on my laptop ( xp pro service pack 2)

Up to now I have been happy enough using .asp.

However I have now decided to try my hand at php. So I am interested in running apache & mambo on my laptop as well. So I installed a copy of xampp on my machine. Inititially it seemed to work ok before I realised that it screwed up my ability to run .asp scripts.

So I'd be gratefull for any suggestons from those more experienced as to how I can run .php,mysql & .asp from the same laptop?

Many thanks

Alex

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need to change the default port for apache. It would normally be listening on port 80 only (and 443 for SSL), but you could change it to listen on port 8000 (or whatever)

You'll need to tweak httpd.conf or one of the other Apache config files to do this. I'm not familiar with the software package you're using, but if you can let us know which config files there are then we may be able to help you

alex

Dual boot perhaps

Thanks Mike,

You must have come accross this issue before in the course of your work?

What solution do you adopt?

I'm thinking now that I might be setting the laptop up as a dual boot. Do you think I am just making trouble for myself by doing this?

thanks

Alex

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Dualbooting your laptop is dead easy :)

Just make sure that you have defragmented it properly first and then you can use partition magic (or similar) to split the disk into two partitions - one for windows and one for linux

If you're new to linux I'd recommend using Ubuntu or Kubuntu (main difference is the windows manager - default is gnome, though a lot of windows users may find kde easier to deal with initially)

alex

Used old nt 4 pc

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that.

When I looked at it again I figured the laptop was a bit short on hard disk space.

For a finish I just installed ubuntu on an old duel processor nt4 pc I had lying around doing nothing. Installation was very staright forward :)

Next step now is to start playing around with .php on it. I assume that I need to first install apache to allow this to happen?

Thanks

alex

Alex

alex

Sincerest Apologies for offence caused

Dear Michael,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the offence caused in shortening you name to "Mike" from "Michael".

I assure you that no offence was intended.

best regards

Alex

alex

Apologies again

Dear Michele,

Sincerest apologies again for alternatively calling you "Mike" & "Michael".

I assure you once again that no offence was intended.

Indeed Michele is a much nicer name than either Mike or Michael.

best regards

Alex

louie

Blacknight (Michele) will be banging his head off the desk.

He's probably used to this situation by now, the reason he kind of goes on fire when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.