Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

Hey,

So I have a bit of a wacky idea which would work well using an SMS service. Don't want to say too much about it, but I would need to customise it a lot.

Does anyone know how I go about setting up a SMS service? Specifically I am talking about hardware, hosting, programming, etc. (The technical side rather than the legal side.)

Thanks a million.

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
I have a good bit of experience here and what you need will depend exactly what you are planning to do. For most solutions you will need no programming or hardware at all. If its just a case having people text xyz to 55555 and the get a standard set of replies based on what they text in then a company like opera telecom or zamano will have all that built into their platform. However if you want a more of chat type program where they talk to live people then you have to develop your own application most likely. Most carriers send their traffic over http on port 80 so it's quite easy to develop a php application or Java one to receive the texts and sends them out.

Really I would recommend talking to one of the many carriers out there Opera, zamano etc.

dude

Ah interesting, thanks for the reply.

It would be a chat type thing. Well, an application with a brain at least (certain amount of decision making.)

Do I have to use a carrier?

Can you recommend one in particular?

Thanks.

davidbehan

Don't know but this link might help you... Clickatell Bulk SMS Gateway

I use them for sending text messages from websites as they seem to be the cheapest in the world (maybe not) and they have the facility for premium rate numbers. Worth checking them out.

CiaranR

Forgot about this thread

Ah interesting, thanks for the reply.

It would be a chat type thing. Well, an application with a brain at least (certain amount of decision making.)

Do I have to use a carrier?

Can you recommend one in particular?

Thanks.

In reality you would have to use a carrier otherwise you are talking about setting up service level agreements with Vodafone O2 3 Meteor.
The Companies I have experience with are as I've mentioned opera and zamano. Out of the two I'd go with zamano, but ask around there are loads more out there, best idea would be send a few of them an email outlining what you want to do (no details obviously) and see who offers the best package, cost, platform etc.

out of curiosity, how do you get your own premium short code number?

You need to apply to these guys Welcome to the RegTel Website
not sure of the cost but you would better of using a carrier to start they have lots of shared short codes you can use. If things take off then you can look at getting your own.

CiaranR

Seams like an OK deal, however I find it hard to take any service provider seriously when they have google ad's on their site. The HTTP gateway is ideal for integration with other app's however the lack of delivery reports and incoming message gateway leaves it very limiting. You also can't send premium messages.
However for purely promotional based messages it could be handy tool as there seams to be very little work required to get your campaign off the ground.

ConorP

Oddly enough I was looking at doing something with premium SMS services and MX Telecom's services seemed interesting to me. If I remember correctly they did support delivery reports over their http interface. Although actual SMS short codes are quite expensive.

HTFINKLE

need 5 digit phone number for costumers

Hi I am hoping someone may be able to offer advice about the following:
I would like to promote my business by offering the public a free info service delivered through text messaging . I am trying to find out if I could get a 5 digit number that they could text (free of charge) to begin reaciving my service .I have come across whats called preimum sms numbers , they seem to be not what im looking for as they carry a heavy cost for the texter . If anyone thinks they might be able to help it would be much appreicated .Thanks .

Any of the peeps on here currently running anything like this with an Irish provider? I need to setup an ad campaign with a "text the word XXXXX to XXXXX" where the client picks up the message and simply phones the customer back. Ideally would like the client to be able to state "FreeText" but its a not a deal breaker that the Text be free, so long as its no more than a standard text cost for the end user. The prod offer simply isnt powerful enough to draw customers if its a premium text fee. Anyone? Thx

xpresstelecoms

Hi,

Why dont you give us a ring to discuss in more detail. We might be able to help you setting it up. If you wish to call then please pm us.

Thanks

Iain3g

Premium SMS services

Hi,

I've just joined the forum so not too sure if this is the best place to post this but I am trying to find any Irish companies that offer Premium SMS numbers / short codes. Ireland based telecom companies may also be of some assisatance, but a quick Google search doesnt pull up that many.

Any help, or just nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.