Status
Not open for further replies.

kjt

Top of the mornin',
I hope everybody's keeping well. I was wondering if you could take a minute to read this and throw a price at me. I'm going to do a website for a friend ( I know I know... don't get into it) I plan on charging for the job but I'm not sure how much. This isn't a post about how much should you charge but how much would YOU charge for this job and/or expect it to cost.

The job is as follows:
  • Static website around 7/8pages
  • A secure client area where clients can login, view current stock, download documents and other similar things
  • An admin area to easily take care of the above client area. Where they can upload/delete files - update stock information and maybe a few other things
This is the lowdown on it. All feedback appreciated!

Thanks

babyboy808

Hi,

If it was me, I would try to calculate the overall work involved in hours, and add on an extra 5 (everything always takes more time). I think the price would be relative to the designer though. If your fast and good at what you do, then the price should reflect this, and vice versa.

TheMenace

It really depends. Does the client have a brand or does a brand need to be created? Is the site design already done or would this need to be taken care of as part of the cost? There are 7 or 8 static pages - but how many templates/layouts would need to be created? Are there any special images or interactive elements that need to be created (maps, forms, etc.)? Is content in the login area tailored for each individual user?

There are too many questions unanswered to give an accurate costing but if you ask me what I would charge for something like this, it could be anywhere between 3k and 15k. Very hard to say.

kjt

Thanks for the replies lads.
Everything would have to be done from scratch. I'll probably only have their logo and from that create 2/3 designs for them to choose. The site would include a form and possible a tie-in with google map. All clients loggin in get the same information.

TheMenace

Thanks for the replies lads.
Everything would have to be done from scratch. I'll probably only have their logo and from that create 2/3 designs for them to choose. The site would include a form and possible a tie-in with google map. All clients loggin in get the same information.

Well if you're asking what I'd charge, and this is a rough estimate based on the information you've given, for all the design, development and administration I would say you're looking at between 8k and 10k. You could of course get it done for a fraction of the price. You may choose to use a less experienced designer, etc. It's a how long is a piece of string question in that sense.

ph3n0m

Well if you're asking what I'd charge, and this is a rough estimate based on the information you've given, for all the design, development and administration I would say you're looking at between 8k and 10k. You could of course get it done for a fraction of the price. You may choose to use a less experienced designer, etc. It's a how long is a piece of string question in that sense.

You really have to look at all aspects too.

Development
1. Secure area - standard db login? And does it have to be encrypted, etc
2. Uploading facility - protecting the upload folder from all sorts of tom foolery and shennanigans
3. Admin area to update db - depends on how much they want to update - new content or creation of new pages, etc

Design
As you said you are probably just going to get the bare minimum (logo, etc) - so unless you are going to find some cheap designer/student or use pre-existing template - design can (in theory cost just as much as development - especially if you have to do several mock ups for approval)

Basically, I'd have to agree with Ken, you are looking at a minimum (IMO) of about 6.5-8K

And to me that would also cover first year hosting, domain and secure cert (if required) - and that would be just because they were a friend :)

kjt

Woops, I thought I replied. Thanks for the input! I was thinking 7-10k but it's good to hear you's would be charging around the same mark.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.