Problem with Google Indexing website pdfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliana

Hi, my problem webpages are:
www. lithicsireland.ie/Driscoll_Killian_2010_Understanding_quartz_technology_in_early_prehistoric_Ireland_PhD_thesis_re_web.pdf AND
www.
lithicsireland.ie/Driscoll_Killian_2006_The_early_prehistory_in_the_west_of_Ireland_web.pdf

Can anyone explain why these two pdfs are not being indexed by Google? They are included in the website sitemap. I used the delorie .com service to see how the pdf appeared, and it appeared in code. Thanks in advance.

tomed

How long has the site been live? Google seems to have only indexed 3 pages of a very small site, with 2 large PDFs - i'd expect it to be quite some time before it bothers.

Satanta

i'd expect it to be quite some time before it bothers.
Agreed.

All SE's will have automated rules on what pages to index. As the PR of your homepage is so low (very few backlinks), it's passing little authority to the deeper links (in this case the two large PDF's). Given the lack of authority for the pages (one obscure link from a low value page) vs. their size, the SE is probably choosing to simply bypass them to save on resources.

You could try providing a strong link to the pages in the body of your site (with relevant anchor text) to help this, but I'd expect you'll have to wait until you've built up more links (to the documents themselves and/or the homepage) before the SE's will view crawling the information as worth their time.

Juliana

Thanks, the question remains: why when using the delorie .com service to see how the pdf appears on a text-based browser, does it appear in code rather than text?

tomed

Thanks, the question remains: why when using the delorie .com service to see how the pdf appears on a text-based browser, does it appear in code rather than text?

I'm not familar with Delorie's Lynx Viewer, but I would hazard a guess that it can't parse PDF documents and therefore displays your PDF in code.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If it's a Lynx emulator then it's pretty normal that it displays PDF as code .. I don't think any of the text browsers can handle PDF files

Status
Not open for further replies.