Putting in the dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kieran

I met a client on Tuesday. She is looking to go into a certain business area in Cork (won't mention it as I am not trying to SEO it - well not yet :)).

There is already a site in place called corkACME.ie (where ACME is the business name).

The CorkACME name isn't registered on CRO (checked that) so is it acceptable business practice to register the Cork ACME business name and then register the domain name cork-ACME?

Thoughts?

Kieran

link8r

To secure a .ie I think you'd get away with registering ACME and then if they have an office or reason to have CorkAcme.ie or AcmeCork.ie, they shouldn't have any problems. A well written justification should suffice if they query it.

Blacknight could shed some more light on it

K

Kieran

Thanks. I agree if the other ACME company hasn't registered their business name tehn it is fair game to take the domain name having at least done the CRO work and registered it.

link8r

Right now, as I understand it, a domain name is not a trading name.

There is definitely a group of people who believe the domain name is a trading name but a domain is firstly an address. It often matches a brand or business name. If a business name is registered by a person or a company (a company is not the same thing as a business, a company is legal entity which carries out a business) and they don't secure the domain names, then thats their problem.

If it unregistered, then try to register it. Law of the jungle etc.

K

Kieran

I do not care about the un-hyphenated domain my customer is going to get the hyphenated domain name.

Kieran

sparky

So neither you or the client are bothered about losing traffic to the unhyphenated domain name? I would be normally.

Rgds

K

Kieran

Sorry I wasn't clear the un-hyphenated domain is already in use by someone else. That was where the original post a was about.

e.g. Is it OK to register the business name that it refers to and then setup the hyphenated name competing against the unhyphenated name.

sparky

Yes, I understood what you were saying. However, I'm saying that the existing unhyphenated domain will be a thorn in your side once you have set up on the hyphenated domain. Or after setting up on the hyphenated domain, and going through the business registration (which I'm not informed about) would you then be attempting to obtain the unhyphenated domain?

Rgds

sparky

OK, I see that you are saying ACMEbusiness.com is the only domain currently registered.

This isn't what you reported in your first post, where you said ACMEbusiness.ie was already registered.

This to me makes the situation more favourable for your client, as they can get ACMEbusiness.ie.

Anyway, I think the general answer to your question is that yes you can legally do what you want to, as you would be first to the CRO. There may be a question of whether it is ethical to do this, but that is for you to decide upon. You will be able to set up on ACMEbusiness.ie and focus on that domain name, someone else will have ACMEbusiness.com.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.