R365 to H365

Status
Not open for further replies.

henny262

Hello All
This is my first post, and any help is appreciated. I will apologize in advance if my question is ...well plain stupid! But if you could please bear with me as its a BIG learning curve for me.

Ok...current domain is hosted with R365. The name servers I've been provided with are NS1.HOSTING365.COM and NS2.HOSTING365.COM.

All things work correctly here but a switch to a cloud server with Hosting365 is necessary.

If this switch is made but the nameservers still remain NS1.HOSTING365.COM etc....how will my domain registrar point to my newly moved site?

Take in account, new site is set up with Hosting365 and all files are working correctly etc.

What i'm confused about is the identical nameservers?

Anyone shed any light on this for me?

THANKS!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Nameservers just hold the records that state where the domain should point, so whether you change the nameservers or not should not matter too much as long as you update the actual records

In any case your provider should be able to help you with this

henny262

OK when you say update the actual records what exactly do you mean?

Here's whats been done at the moment.
new site is hosted with H365. I was instructed to create glue records for my nameservers with my registrar...while the NS records were set to NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM by someone from the hosting team. I can see these two ns records when I log into my plesk control panel and go to DNS management.

So with my registrar I then had to create these glue records, giving each NS record a set IP then i was able to change the nameserver for the actual domain.

But the problem that I'm encountering is that that was Friday morning..and between then and now the site has been jumping back and forth between the old and new IP.

I've pinged it from my computer and its telling me the new IP sometimes and then the old IP other.

Thanks

Hen.

Status
Not open for further replies.