Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoran

Does anyone know what the _actual_ criteria are for registering a .IE name?
I read over the IEDR rules a while back and I'm sure that they were along the lines of:
  • Irish business name / Company
  • Citizen initials+number (dd06.ie)
  • A company product or relevant to business etc.

But I was pretty sure by their rules you couldn't reigster your name or an arbitrary name.

Am I mistaken? How are domains such as kick.ie registered without a Company/Business name that corresponds to them?

Cormac

Does anyone know what the _actual_ criteria are for registering a .IE name?
I read over the IEDR rules a while back and I'm sure that they were along the lines of:
  • Irish business name / Company
  • Citizen initials+number (dd06.ie)
  • A company product or relevant to business etc.
But I was pretty sure by their rules you couldn't reigster your name or an arbitrary name.

Am I mistaken? How are domains such as kick.ie,whatismyip.ie,thirdlevel.ie,blaa.ie registered without a Company/Business name that corresponds to them?

the guy who has those domains bribed the IEDR...well no..
i registered them for personal usage

daviddoran

Hi Cormac, sorry for using all your domains for the examples ;)

So can you really register anything for 'personal use'?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The problem lies with the actual domain names themselves.

If your choice of domain could be construed as being for any form of money-making endeavour, then you would be expected to get a registered business name.

daviddoran

That's interesting so, it sure opens up some possibilities I had given up on because I believed there to be alot of trouble involved in getting a .IE domain at all.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to register ANY .ie domains I'd recommend that you do them as a sole trader with a registered business name and use the discretionary category.. Doing them any other way can be painful :)

daviddoran

Well as long as having a registered business name doesn't cost money - I think the effort outweighs the need for any .IE I would want at the moment.

Cormac

having a .ie will help you ranking in search engines for regional searches. Your sites are hosted in the UK and US at the moment. By having a .ie domain on any of your domains they will rank higher eventhough they are still hosted abroad.

You have a db error with feedbackfreedom.com btw
Unfortunately we have experienced a DataBase error.
A technician has been notified via e-mail and will assess the problem ASAP.
This may be temporary, refreshing this page may solve the problem.

daviddoran

Thanks Cormac,
FeedbackFreedom is dead anyway, I don't have the time or experience to try and promote it and I think it's too small a niche market anyway.

As for the hosting it is with (mt) Media Temple who I went with because they are renowned as you'll see their logo on 9 Rules, Zeldman.com, Inman etc. but since I've been with them there's been a host of problems, MySQL included.

It turns out the problem is "Too many connections" which is a joke because I know that my site is probably using 1 at most with the traffic it gets.
Media Temple is hyping their (gs) Grid Server as the next generation scalable cluster but it seems more like web 2.0 shared server hype.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It turns out the problem is "Too many connections" which is a joke because I know that my site is probably using 1 at most with the traffic it gets.
Media Temple is hyping their (gs) Grid Server as the next generation scalable cluster but it seems more like web 2.0 shared server hype.

Can you prove that?

daviddoran

Depends what you want me to prove.
If you're asking if I have proof that the site is not using many connections than in a word - yes.
I have my scripts log when they initialise a DB object, and there is only one every 30-60 seconds, when I was checking the page myself.

If you want me to prove my comment on their grid cluster then I can't, and I wouldn't try to but it's just my personal opinion from my experience of it.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I don't doubt you :)

We've seen issues with badly written php / mysql where queries were extremely slow and hogging CPU cycles and the DB server.... which is why I asked

addoc

real stupid question (1st post).... Does the business name have to be the domain name for IE domains. eg. register business name "goodexample" the have "badexample.ie"

daviddoran

As far as I know from the IEDR rules they will give you a URL that is directly associated with your business/company name or a recognised trademark or product.

So, if you are "Ambiclean Technologies" then you may get "ambicleanblue.ie" for your blue cleaning product.

AFAIK.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If your business name is alpha but you can show a connection to omega then you can register omega.ie

addoc

thanks, i got ahead of himself. I wanted to reg a biz name to get an RBN no. so I could just do the domain thing when i thought of good domain name.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
thanks, i got ahead of himself. I wanted to reg a biz name to get an RBN no. so I could just do the domain thing when i thought of good domain name.

The key issue is whether you can justify the domain name.

Status
Not open for further replies.