Rip-off UK Hosting Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButtermilkJack

Without naming names, there's a certain UK hosting company (which I'm sure all of you are aware of) who have somehow managed to get our Government to pass them on our company details at the time of registration with the CRO. Apart from this being a shameful thing for our Government to do, has anybody noticed the outlandish prices this company charges :eek:

I have been approached by a new company to create their website. They passed me on their FTP/Control Panel details to upload the site. First of all, I was peeved to say the least to find out they had gone with this UK company. So I said i'd have a sneak around their control panel to view their invoices and see exactly what they had paid for. This is shocking...

.ie domain name
30MB of webspace (yes, you read correctly!)
1 POP3 email account (that's one more than zero, and one less than two!)
250MB of traffic (wtf!!)
Abosolutely no features (formmail etc.)

Total: €146.00 (ex-vat)

Now, on their website they advertise all this for €69. So, either my client has been ripped-off without her knowing it, or there has been a mistake in the invoicing.

Either way, why are the government taking away the opportunity for Irish companies to grow in such a tough market by removing what surely must be a large percentage of customers from the outset? I think this is rediculous, considering Irish companies have become extremely competitive in the last 12 months or so.

SlitheryImp

I also get a letter from a company (sorry, forgotten the name) every time I register a new business name with the CRO.

I throw them away, but I do remember the prices being extremely high.

louie

Ireland, since i know, never protected the small irish businesses.
That's why they come from outside and do whatever they want.
we understand that competition is good, but don't we have to look in our garden first and see what damage that will cause?

ButtermilkJack

louie said:
Ireland, since i know, never protected the small irish businesses... we understand that competition is good, but...
I agree, but 'fair' competition is good. These guys are getting an unfair advantage by getting this letter sent out to poor unfortunates who are none the wiser and end up paying a fortune for something they can get from a local company for a fraction of the price.

fieldcorbett

As far as I now the gov is not giving these guys new company reg details but instead they're data mining the cro.ie website. There's not really a lot the gov can do about this as this info has to be publically available.

For many companies the difference in price, even if it is €60, isn't worth the effort of researching a better offer. Esp as many would not know/care about the package details. - not saying this is a good thing, but if you have just set up a company that is not focused on the internet you prob have more important worries.

louie

true, but how do you feel when you get a client that you quote a certain amount and they say that got a better deal from such and such?

And other just don't care despite the fact that everyone says - shop arround.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is that a lot of small business owners won't shop around. They'll take the first offer they are given

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
georgiecasey said:
as far as i know, anyone can do this from the cro.ie
Not anymore. You need to get a special license from the CRO to do it

georgiecasey said:
why dont some of ye who run hosting companies do the same?!

Because it's almost as bad as spamming

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I find it a bit odd that they threatened legal action based merely on a bit of critique of their pricing. Do they have something to hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.