Security Board Rules

Discussion in 'Security' started by mneylon, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mneylon

mneylon Administrator Staff Member

If you want to discuss security, post news of a new security hole etc., this is the place.

2. Forbairt

Forbairt Portfolio Building

Might be good to have ... release notes for the various open source updates available (security issues resolved) ? Its something I don't check often enough when a new version comes out ?

3. mneylon

I'll set up some automated ones using RSS in a minute

4. mneylon

The automated RSS thing will bring in the latest alerts from Secunia. The first batch spammed the board a few minutes ago, but normally it won't be that hectic :)

5. Forbairt

yeah I saw ... and I was thinking oh god thats some heavy spam .. then I realised :D

A few over the course of the day will be good I think ...

Majority wouldn't apply to me but still handy to have.

Now I wonder about a feed for the latest web software releases :)
    (will check later for myself at any rate)

6. mneylon

I can easily add other RSS feeds

7. paul

paul Ninja

is there anyway you can get them not to appear in the latest posts view ??

8. mneylon

Doubtful, but it won't be an issue moving forward, as they only release one or two updates a day at different times

9. paul

paul Ninja

I tried to add him to my ignore list , but that didn't help. Awww well. As it just suppresses the post content, and not the new thread notice.

10. CiaranR

CiaranR Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com

Just as I was about to complain you seam to have fixed it :)

or just deleted it no?

11. mneylon

Someone banned it. I've unbanned it and set the RSS update interval to 12 hours.

12. louie

louie New Member

That was me and as I said it was fun (for me tho)

13. paul

paul Ninja

Decent in the ranks ! lol.
    12 hours makes more sense, as long as we don't get 20 new threads twice a day from the bot!

14. mneylon

Well, if people wrote more secure software ...... :)

I also had a look at the way the latest threads plugin works - it's pretty much impossible to ignore posts by a particular user unless I get it entirely re-written. And that's not going to happen anytime soon unless I win the lotto!

15. Forbairt

Is the latest threads plugin commercial ?

16. mneylon

No idea about the actual license. I can't even find the original thread on vbulletin.org at the moment!

17. Forbairt

I'd have assumed its an easy enough exclude in the sql as a hardcoded value.

18. mneylon

Possibly, but I had a look at the code earlier today and it doesn't seem to make any explicit references to users (or their IDs), so while it might be possible to do it would probably involve a rewrite.

Since I can't code I'd have to get someone else to do it and well, you know the rest :)

19. CiaranR

CiaranR Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com

Another 15!

If you can send me the code for the plugin and the database structure, I'll rewite it. Don't use Vbulletin so would need you to send it too me but at the end of the day its just code.

20. mneylon

Frodo

I can give you access to the control panel of this board if you want. The plugins are editable from there :)

Just pm me your _real_ contact details and I'll set you up with temporary access.

Michele