mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to discuss security, post news of a new security hole etc., this is the place.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Might be good to have ... release notes for the various open source updates available (security issues resolved) ? Its something I don't check often enough when a new version comes out ?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The automated RSS thing will bring in the latest alerts from Secunia. The first batch spammed the board a few minutes ago, but normally it won't be that hectic :)

Forbairt

yeah I saw ... and I was thinking oh god thats some heavy spam .. then I realised :D

A few over the course of the day will be good I think ...

Majority wouldn't apply to me but still handy to have.

Now I wonder about a feed for the latest web software releases :)
(will check later for myself at any rate)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
is there anyway you can get them not to appear in the latest posts view ??
Doubtful, but it won't be an issue moving forward, as they only release one or two updates a day at different times

paul

Ninja
I tried to add him to my ignore list , but that didn't help. Awww well. As it just suppresses the post content, and not the new thread notice.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
as long as we don't get 20 new threads twice a day from the bot!

Well, if people wrote more secure software ...... :)

I also had a look at the way the latest threads plugin works - it's pretty much impossible to ignore posts by a particular user unless I get it entirely re-written. And that's not going to happen anytime soon unless I win the lotto!

Forbairt

I also had a look at the way the latest threads plugin works - it's pretty much impossible to ignore posts by a particular user unless I get it entirely re-written. And that's not going to happen anytime soon unless I win the lotto!

Is the latest threads plugin commercial ?

Forbairt

I'd have assumed its an easy enough exclude in the sql as a hardcoded value.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have assumed its an easy enough exclude in the sql as a hardcoded value.
Possibly, but I had a look at the code earlier today and it doesn't seem to make any explicit references to users (or their IDs), so while it might be possible to do it would probably involve a rewrite.

Since I can't code I'd have to get someone else to do it and well, you know the rest :)

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
Another 15!

If you can send me the code for the plugin and the database structure, I'll rewite it. Don't use Vbulletin so would need you to send it too me but at the end of the day its just code.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Frodo

I can give you access to the control panel of this board if you want. The plugins are editable from there :)

Just pm me your _real_ contact details and I'll set you up with temporary access.

Michele