CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
Got this done easy enough in the end, just took a bit of thought as to the best way to do it.

So, I moved all the topics to a new sub forum, Security Updates, and the simply added this to the SQL that generates the latest posts. (64 being the id of the Security Updates sub forum)
Code:
WHERE .... AND `forumid` != 64;
As an additional step I restricted this sub forum to registered users, this has the effect of removing it from the RSS feed and prevents google from crawling it and seeing it as duplicate content.

Another benefit of this strategy over just stopping posts from the ArticleBot user appearing, as first mentioned, is that if any new security feeds are added to this sub forum they will also be treated like this too automatically.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
nicely done ... leaves the main security forum nice and tidy as well :)

though the security feeds won't get indexed by search engines now either .. unless its possible for the "google bot" to see registered users forums ?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
though the security feeds won't get indexed by search engines now either .. unless its possible for the "google bot" to see registered users forums ?
That's intentional.

The feeds are pulled from other sites, so they are NOT original content for the spiders

CiaranR

Ah that view is powered by vBulletins search feature and not the Latest posts plugin or the the RSS feed.

I could take a look see what I could do if lots of people use that view and Michele doesn't mind again.

edit: or just do that

Use the new posts at the bottom of the main page

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with the search thing is that it's a core VB function. If you hack it to ignore a forum or forums now it will break with the next upgrade ....

CiaranR

Ah handy feature that looks dead easy to implement. Well found Paul, that should cover all the bases now.