Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've been asked to give a couple of talks over the next couple of weeks on SEO. As the audience for one of the talks is probably novice (or close to it) what topics *should* I cover and which ones should I avoid?

Cormac

Some basics:
  • H1 and H2 title tags combined with CSS
  • Keyword Page Titles
  • How to link to your site
  • Using robots.txt to avoid unesscessary crawling of your site and to aid bots
  • Mod Rewrite Urls
  • http://www.cormacmoylan.com/blog/online-advertising-marketing/301-redirects-and-seo.eire
  • Avoiding Flash and using 'skip to content' anchors
  • Keyword Domains
  • Server IP and .tld for regional search
  • The benefits of using standards
  • Blackhat SEO, the advantages and disadvantages
  • Link Farming
  • SEO Software and Web Apps
Is there a possibility the talks might be made available as a podcast?

tomed

Personally I would steer clear of anything too technical such as the use of H1 tags etc. It just adds to the confusion for people that know nothing as it is!

I would go with a generic approach such as:

1. Keyword Selection
2. Content Creation
3. Website Optimisation (Cover briefly the elements, title tags etc)
4. Link Generation
5. Continous Monitoring & Reports

I would also talk about the adwords and other pay-per-click campaigns. Maybe include the report from Eyetools (Eyetools Eyetracking Research)

I don't there's a need to get into the nitty gritty unless talkig to web developers/designers.

My 2c anyway!

Tom

Cormac

I suppose it does all depend on the audience alright.
What's the scope of the audience Michele?

glengara

I'd agree on the technical stuff, makes eyes glaze over more often than not. IMO few people are aware of the importance of textual content to the SEs, the limitations on what a spider will index or the need for links. Find a nice Flash site and show them the text only cache in G....

Cormac

It looks like two different talks really on the same matter so. The only question is what should the theory to practical ratio be.

I would lean on the theory side but maybe setup a webpage for further reading on the technical side of SEO.

EdenWeb

Keyword Research

Keyword Research. Start at the beginning. Too many companies carrying out 'SEO projects' baced on completely innacurate keywords. IMHO :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like two different talks really on the same matter so. The only question is what should the theory to practical ratio be.

I would lean on the theory side but maybe setup a webpage for further reading on the technical side of SEO.

I need to be able to cover both equally I guess, as you never can tell who will turn up at these things

RedCardinal

But who is qualified to conduct that research?

I would consider this a big issue. I have used many paid tools for this and the results are never going to be accurate IMO. It's just to easy for the SE's to pollute the data that these tools use.

Grand for finding keywords and estimating relative performance but I wouldn't be betting the house on any results. Using three or four different services and comparing/combining results is an option.

I am testing some nice tools that spider entire niches to extrapolate data about keyword usage across a large number of sites. They are quite resource heavy though.

Back to the main topic, you could try turning the tables so to speak and try to explain how SE's index and rank websites. If you give an overview of what the SE's are looking for it can sometimes be a better way to explain how to rank well.

Just my $0.01 (I dont think it's worth 2 cents :().

EdenWeb

But who is qualified to conduct that research?

It's the basis of any successful SEO work so any company that is offering SEO services should know how to do this. And I mean really know - IE not just download "Cool Keyword Finder Pro" for 200 Euros etc.

RedCardinal

It's the basis of any successful SEO work so any company that is offering SEO services should know how to do this. And I mean really know - IE not just download "Cool Keyword Finder Pro" for 200 Euros etc.

The big problem with any database is the data sources used to compile their figures. They are prone to error and the SE's are known to inject info to pollute the data.

I'm not saying KW research isn't important - it really is. You can surely outrank your competitors using the right KW research.

I am wondering if anyone else has thoughts on the pros and cons of the various keyword research methods.

Rgds

Richard

EdenWeb

I am wondering if anyone else has thoughts on the pros and cons of the various keyword research methods.

I've found that running an AdWords campaign for a few months helps give an idea of the best keywords. Obviousyl, we eventually pare this down to very targetted keywords but intially it can be valuable to have a broad mix and see what kinds of words are most active.

RedCardinal

In terms of tracking competitors the only thing I am interested in is their backlinks and some info about their domain (age) and site (size and architecture).

If you mean tracking keywords the most common way would be through keyword services (Wordtracker, Keyword discovery, a couple of other smaler tools, and a few free tools).

There are a number of (very expensive) corporate services that do 'reputation tracking' which is a slight slant on the SEO stuff.

Oh, and there are a number of automated ways to track compeitor site SERPs.

Not sure if I'm answering your question.

jmcc

How can you track the age of a domain if it is a .ie?
I've a feature that I'm going to be adding to .ie records on WhoisIreland.com that will give the new/deleted dates for .ie domains since 2001. I've a few other things to finish but I should be integrated by the weekend.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
That would be handy, though I wonder how much weight the search engine apply to ccTLD domains that don't carry that info in whois .. Maybe they simply rely on the first "mention"....

Status
Not open for further replies.