Seo to sem and back again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seodude

I Was in a meeting the other day with an analytics company, They said that a lot of companies over in the UK seem to go from SEO to SEM and then back again. I know from personal experience that the most successful companies are the ones who bring SEO in house. anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

RedCardinal

Might there be a correlation between the size of the companies and their success with SEM?

Generally it's the bigger players who can actually afford to bring the function in-house. They have greater resources, and as with most things in life, the more you can put in the more you get back.

I think here in Ireland the companies that go in-house tend to be either pure Internet plays or have a very significant on-line presence as a proportion of the whole business. These are the folks who tend to 'get' the Internet by and large.

With respect to who are most successful - I would imagine that the most successful are the standalone SEO firms that start to do proprietary stuff to generate their own revenue streams.

Seodude

at the moment i am a in house SEO for a big enough company. I also do a lot of SEM for them . what i have found is that companies just don’t understand the concept of what we do and tend to hop skip and jump. The plan I put together for the company I am with at the moment is all SEO and I managed to increase the UNV by 100,000 in 8 weeks. My view is that they all want unrealistic results in a short time, that’s why they go from one to another and not combined the power of both.

glengara

I'd imagine in-house SEOs are still fairly rare here, but from what I've read in the past your experience seems fairly typical.

tomed

There seem to be a lot more advertisements for these type of jobs lately.

I would agree that they may be fairly rare. It's hard enough to get a company to try and understand the benefits of SEO!!

If you take your typical Irish company, it has less than 20 employees.
Can you imagine how hard it would be to persuade a company of this size to create a position for a full time SEO/SEM expert - when they could outsource for half the price (and a lot less) of someone on minimum wage? Unlikely I would think! :)

tomed

Yep, agreed, but they are even harder to find!!
I have yet to meet a marketing person that knew anything about SEO other than "it can help" :)

Redfly

ohoh - did i offend someone? ;)

Haha, doubt it!

I actually agree with you. Ireland marketers are still in an offline mindset and skillset. We get many marketing companies try to outsource Search Engine Marketing work to us and in our experience, the benefits get lost in translation. That's why I dislike subcontracted work.

Irish businesses still have a long way to go to realize how much SEM and SEO can help their business.

geraldo

Yep, agreed, but they are even harder to find!!
I have yet to meet a marketing person that knew anything about SEO other than "it can help" :)
Agreed, but there are opportunities out there for marketing-oriented folks who are willing to learn the basics of SEO. A talented copywriter with an adequate knowledge of keyword basics is definitely and asset.
Nailing the right content for both audiences (human and search engine) ain't as easy as it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.