Status
Not open for further replies.

s.m.u.r.f

Hi,

I'm trying to fend off a multinational franchise that has entered the Irish market with a very limited marketing budget so I thought I'd ask for some help from the bloggers among you.

If any of you are stuck for content or have tried our service, I'd really appreciate it if you could give my wife's mobile dog grooming business a mention whether it's about the site itself (which my sister designed and I developed) or about the service we offer.

My wife's business is called Doggie Style and you can see the site (or learn more about what we do) at www.DoggieStyle.ie - Ireland's Leading Mobile Dog Grooming Service

Thanks for the help

glengara

If by "fend off" you mean get the no.1 spot you may need to consider changing your site structure which IMO is a major handicap...

s.m.u.r.f

We are better and always improving through training. We charge much less for our service than they do but give more.

The problem is the cash that they have for advertising. Most people don't even know a mobile dog grooming business exists so if they first hear about the competition, that is the name that sticks with them.

I'm just trying to get a bit of online word of mouth going.

eoghanmccabe

• Start a blog about the day-to-day life of a dog groomer.
  • Post funny stories, funny pictures.
  • Make Lolcats with dogs.
  • Groom Irish blogger's dogs for free and post a picture with the blogger and dog together.
  • Do blogger's dog's make-overs with before and after shots.
  • Join online pet communities and start answering dog-care related questions.
These are all things your corporate competitor can't easily do with personality and integrity.

figment

We charge much less for our service than they do but give more.

I first thought is why do you charge less, where are you cutting corners. Charge more and i will be happier letting you near my darling doggy :)

On the online marketing end of things i think you are worrying over nothing and would be better focusing your energy elsewhere in your service.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Get a copy of Guerilla Marketing (or any of the related titles by [SIZE=-1]Jay Conrad Levinson)[/SIZE]

Colm

why not start your own franchise kick them where it hurts

get lots of friends to apply for their franchise and waist their time, you even apply for their franchise and see who they do it what they charge and beat them with your own game...

oh I could think of so much to put here...

d-tour

We are better and always improving through training. We charge much less for our service than they do but give more.

The problem is the cash that they have for advertising. Most people don't even know a mobile dog grooming business exists so if they first hear about the competition, that is the name that sticks with them.

Use your size to your advantage....
Big companies are faceless, get out there and meet prespective clients face to face, make that your advantage over them and focus on it.

s.m.u.r.f

All,

Thanks for the feedback - It's much appreciated. Keep them coming, as so far, you've given me great advice

Regards
Stephen

s.m.u.r.f

Our Neighbours are our best clients! It's the church right opposite us that I worry about offending although its great advertising as its like a huge billboard right in front of the people as they leave the front door of the church

Brionglóid

Problems with website need addressing.

From the point of view of your website, I hope you don't mind a little criticism, but unless you address a few key issues that site's going to languish forever at the bottom of the web-pile.

First off, whilst I like the logo and the graphics, I feel the colours clash and can be somewhat distracting. This is exacerbated by the fonts and size of the fonts which make the site hard to read. And since the attention span of your average netizen can be measured in nanoseconds, all it takes is one glance to gain or loose a customer.

So if it were up to me I'd
1. Make the colours less brash,
2. Enlarge the fonts and
3. I'd make the menus much larger so they're easier to read.

The forth issue is that, because of the flash and javascript used, there are no visible links on that page so the search engines will have difficulty reading through your site.

Fifth, your page has no meta tags. You want to learn about meta tags and inserting them into your site to boost your chances of getting results for specific keywords. Inserting terms like "dog grooming Dublin" into your meta keywords tags and "mobile pet grooming service in Dublin" into your meta description will do far more for your website's visibility than a 100 links from random bloggers.

Finally, I had a quick look to see your backlinks. Random web links aren't going to help you as much as good quality links from relevant websites. You'd be better off getting links from dog related blogs rather than random blogs on who-knows-what, some of those links might even be hurting you.

You also want to look up anchor text (google it if you don't know what it is), so far all the anchor text you've got says "doggiestyle.ie" and not dog grooming or similar keywords.

Anyways, best of luck with your endeavor and thanks for inadvertently reminding me to get the dogs nails cut. :D

s.m.u.r.f

Brionglóid,

Critism - I love it, the more the better (well up to a point and as long as it's constructive)

Thanks for the constructive words - although I would disagree with some of you points. Although saying that, I never thought about anchor text before as an aid in SEO. As for Meta Tags, I thought that they were dead to google and so I have never bothered with them although, thinking about it, they wouldn't do any harm.

I used to agree with you on the colours issue, but my graphic designer (my sister) said she'd never do any work for me again if I didn't use them. I have to admit that I have grown to love the mix and we use it on all of our promotional material. Colour preference is a pretty personal thing but the feed back from the website has been very positive from the dog owners out there - I think it's a hell of a lot better than 99.9% of the other sites out there aimed at the pet industry.

I'm not sure where the critism of the font size is coming from as I think that the font is too big. The problem may be with another bone of contention about the site - it resizes with your window so it is best viewed in a full screen.

Because our main site is Flash & JavaScript I built a html version that is accessible if you don't have Flash installed or JavaScript enabled. This is what search engines see as our site and this seems to work fine as if you google 'Dog Grooming' in Search Irish Sites or 'Dog Grooming Ireland' we'll be right up there. (The adwords campaing helps too)

So, thanks again for the help. I'll start working on the Meta Tags and anchor text on back links and internal links

I presume you are talking about using something like this:
Visit us for the very best Mobile Dog Grooming Service
or may be we could use one of our tag lines:
"Ireland's Leading Mobile Dog Washing & Grooming Service"

Regards
Stephen

Brionglóid

Regarding the colour scheme, I agree that's a personal thing, and for me, personally, I'd still tone it down slightly and make them less eeh, neon. It might be great for flyers and no doubt look good on a van but the web's a different medium and what might be eye-catching in print, is distracting on the web.

Having said that, since I don't want to incur the wrath of your sister, I will say I really like the logo, its very clever and highly effective. I especially like the little lines to signify the wagging tail and the tongue lolling out - great stuff! :)

As for Meta Tags, I thought that they were dead to google and so I have never bothered with them although, thinking about it, they wouldn't do any harm.

Far from it. It's a common misconception that "meta tags are dead" they're not, they're just not seen to be as important as they once were. In the old days people would do "keyword stuffing", basically overloading their pages with meta keywords - many of which were popular search terms but in no way relevant to the content - to get visitors. Because of this abuse search engines don't consider them to be as important as they once did, but they're still quite important none the less.

They're also a great way of ensuring that the text you want to show up shows up in search results.

Have about 6 keywords in your meta keywords, and then "Ireland's Leading Mobile Dog Washing & Grooming Service" would be your ideal meta description. Have something similar in your <title> tag, "Mobile dog grooming service based in Dublin." or whatever. Plus if you can, try and use your keywords in your header tags <h1>Dog Grooming</h1> <h2>Pet Grooming Products</h2> etc, etc.

As for the anchor text, yeah, that's exactly how you do it. The more links you get like that the better.

Also, have a look atRegarding the colour scheme, I agree that's a personal thing, and for me, personally, I'd still tone it down slightly and make them less eeh, neon.
It might be great for flyers and no doubt look good on a van but the web's a different medium and what might be eye-catching in print, is distracting on the web.

Having said that, since I don't want to incur the wrath of your sister, I will say I really like the logo, its very clever and highly effective. I especially like the little lines to signify the wagging tail and the tongue lolling out - great stuff! :)

As for Meta Tags, I thought that they were dead to google and so I have never bothered with them although, thinking about it, they wouldn't do any harm.

Far from it. It's a common misconception that "meta tags are dead" they're not, they're just not seen to be as important as they once were.
In the old days people would do "keyword stuffing", basically overloading their pages with meta keywords - many of which were popular search terms but in no way relevant to the content - to get visitors. Because of this abuse search engines don't consider them to be as important as they once did, but they're still quite important none the less.

They're also a great way of ensuring that the text you want to show up shows up in search results.

Have about 6 keywords in your meta keywords, and then "Ireland's Leading Mobile Dog Washing & Grooming Service" would be your ideal meta description. Have something similar in your <title> tag, "Mobile dog grooming service based in Dublin." or whatever. Plus if you can, try and use your keywords in your header tags <h1>Dog Grooming</h1> <h2>Pet Grooming Products</h2> etc, etc.

As for the anchor text, yeah, that's exactly how you do it. The more links you get like that the better.

Also, have a look at Website Grader and test your website out on it, it's a good way to test and optimise your site plus it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.