Site down - SEPR Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rtwo

Hey guys,

I had a .htaccess issue last Friday with one of my client's websites. The redesigned site only went live about 4 weeks ago and was gradually making its presence felt in Google until I stupidly changed something in my hosting back-end that buried my search engine page results.

The site was down from Friday to lunch time on Sunday and today I have seen key-phrases that were between positions 1 - 30 drop out of the top 100. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I've been keeping it clean so as far as any penalty is concerned, I can't see it happen but could it be the case that Google indexed the site again when it was down, saw the pages have gone a slid me down the snake to the first square the Google's snake and ladder board???

Cheers guys..

MOH

Are you seeing any crawl errors in google webmaster tools?

gbonnet

I'm sure you'll come back in SERPs as soon as google will crawl the site again, with maybe a short delay.

If that happens only once, google can't penalise the site over a long term, it would not make sense.
If that happened a lot, then they would more than likely consider the site as no reliable.

MOH

I'd assume that pages Google can't find would suffer in the SERPs, but you've only got 5 errors?
Are they from during the weekend outage (and are they fixed now?)? If they're for the main entry pages to the site then presumably if Google couldn't find them, it couldn't get to the rest of the site.
I'd say if that was the issue, the SERPs should gradually recover once the site is recrawled successfully.

Then again, maybe it's just coincidence, if it's a new site it could just be finding it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.